Chapter Sixteen

"Ugh, the little witch; she won't stop squirming," said a gruff voice.

"Well of course she won't! She's been tied up and gagged, you oaf! Of course, she's going to squirm!" said someone else.

I opened my eyes slowly and looked around. I was tied to the back of a saddle, and the person who had called me a witch was sitting on the front of the saddle. I could register another horse next to us, but could only see the breeches of the second rider.

"Oh, she's awake! Stop the horses, she needs water!" said the guy on the other horse. I groaned as I was untied and lifted from the saddle. My whole body was sore and aching, and my mouth felt like sandpaper.

I felt my gag be unbound as I was set on the ground in front of the beginnings of a campfire. The dude who had been carrying me was rough-looking; stubble dotted his chin, and he had weasely black eyes that were set deep into his hard, tan, windburned face. He had sandy chin-length hair that stirred in the breeze, and he squinted at me before going to light the fire. He seemed vaguely familiar.

I hated him.

I craned my neck and caught sight of the other person. He looked to be in his mid-twenties, with a mop of wavy blond hair and warm, dark eyes. His skin was a shade darker than the other ones', and his face was kinder as if he did less worrying. 

Did he seem familiar too?

He smiled at me apologetically.

"I'm so sorry - Dan is a bit rough. I'm Jerry; we had to kidnap you, but don't worry - we didn't harm your companions. They're still safe and sound in Braie."

Although I was relieved that Kelly and Devi were OK, I was still fuming and resolved to hate these men. I bit my lip to keep from crying out; I was determined to not say a word to them.

However, my resolve lasted a solid four minutes until the sight of the flask hanging from Jerrys' hip became too much. I tried desperately to move my tongue, which felt dry and heavy and useless in my mouth.

"Wa...wa...tuh-tuh-wa," I tried. My voice reminded me of when I had been sick, and I had had that god-awful rasp.

Jerry turned, but when he saw me ogling the flask, he knelt and tipped my head back. He very slowly dripped some water onto my tongue. I sucked it in gratefully and sighed as I felt the water drip down my parched and aching throat.

"So. How...well, I guess it would be fickle to say how are you, huh?" said Jerry, standing up and stuffing his hands in the pockets of his tunic. I only eyed him warily.

"Well, uh...I guess, if you wanted, I could give you a bit more water?" I nodded frantically, and Jerry smirked as he knelt down and dripped me more water.

"You know, you don't have to like us, but you don't have to stay silent. I know you magic types are always muttering spells and whatnot, so why don't you say something to me?"

Now it was my turn to smirk. I sat up a bit straighter and looked Jerry up and down, then looked him straight in the eye, and said, "You're a kekok pantat."

I could see his face slowly contorting his features as his lambat mind worked to translate what I had called him.

When he finally figured it out, he scowled and slapped me across the face.

I could tell his hand left a red mark on my cheek by the way it had stung. I couldn't put a hand on it, since my wrists were still bound, so I cradled my cheek in my shoulder and panted. I hadn't been hit like that since...well, ever.

All looks of the bumbling, maybe-nice Jerry were gone, replaced by a cool indifference-bordering-hatred.

"You piece of-" I flinched as he called me every bad name under the sun, and reveled in it too. I sighed and looked into the now-glowing fire.

"Oi! Little maggot! Lay off the girl," came the gruff voice. It was Dan. My eyes and mind strained at his voice. I could swear I had heard it before...

"Come sit, Jerry. Lay off her, and come sit by the fire with me. Let her eat and drink a bit - loosen her bonds. Not a lot, just enough for her to hold a cup."

And that is how I ended up sharing my first breakfast of Midterm break with a band of kidnappers, bound in ropes, in the middle of nowhere.