Chapter Twenty-Nine

We emerged from the portal near the town square. I could see where we had stayed during the Midterm break and where we had had dinner.

I pulled Devi down an unfamiliar alleyway, towards the smell of chicken pot pie. I looked behind me, at her face, and grinned, admiring the way her frizzy hair framed her face.

You think you like her!  I repressed a gag and turn my head sharply. An icy feeling settled in the pit of my stomach. But I tried to ignore it, determined to not let it ruin our evening.

"Hey! What about here?" said Devi. I turned around, trying to ignore the way her dress sloped just so down her back.

"Sure! Looks good!" I said, scanning the menu of chicken pasta and veggie pizzas. This must be what was causing the heavenly smell. Devi giggled and shoved the door open, a bell clanging as she opened the door.

"Ah, miss with the orange dress! And miss with the green dress! Here, here, misses!" a waiter escorted us to a corner table. Devi and I tucked ourselves into the wicker chairs.

"So, Fiona..." said Devi absentmindedly. "I, uh, I was wondering if, uh, if I could tell you something - oh thanks!" she stopped abruptly and smiled at the waiter.

"G'evening misses. Can I interest you in a beverage?" I smiled and ordered a ginger ale. Devi ordered a Fresca. The waiter grinned politely and placed two glass goblets in front of us. Spinning his hands in the air, our goblets filled with our respective sodas.

"Thanks, sir!" I said cheerily. "To eat, may I have some rigatoni?" The waiter nodded and a plate of pasta materialized in front of me. "And for you, miss?" the waiter asked chirpily. "I'll take some aglio olio, please," replied Devi. A plate of pasta appeared before her. We each gave the waiter seven wang and he bowed and went back into the kitchen.

"Wait, what's a Fresca?" I said, staring at her soda.

 "Reminds me of home," she said.

Reminds me of home. Home...

"So, Devs?" I said, spearing my rigatoni, trying to ignore my brain. "You were gonna tell me something before the waiter came over?" Devi took a sip of her Fresca.

I continued eating my pasta, trying to ignore the way her eyes shone-

You think you love her-

"NO!" I glanced up in alarm to see Devs scowling at me. "Fee, seriously! You have got to stop saying that stupid mantra!"

"But how did you-"

"You were whispering it, bodoh," she sassed.

I hung my head in apology, and I sensed Devi soften.

"Girlie, ya gotta stop, OK?" I nodded glumly. "Internalized homophobia is an issue for you, and I want to help you to make it better, OK?"

I nodded again. This time, though, instead of feeling dejected, a tiny part of me flared with hope.

"And, uh, something similar to homophobia is biphobia, which I'm hoping you don't have because...uh because I'm bisexual."

Devi tensed up, waiting for my reaction. I don't think she was happy when my fork clattered against the table. But she was happy when I jumped up and threw my arms around her.

"Oh, Devs! I'm so proud of you!" I sat back down hurriedly, re-arranging my hair and putting my napkin back in my lap. "Well, uh, I guess I should say I'm happy for you, but like, proud you've come to this conclusion?"

Devi chuckled. "That makes sense." We continued to probe and poke at our food until I finally took a swig of my ginger ale, and said, "How does it remind you of home?"

"What?" said Devi, puzzled.

"The Fresca - you said it reminded you of home. How?"

"Oh!" said Devs, bewildered but relieved, "Well, the Fresca, uh...it isn't exactly Mexican, but I would always drink this with my Abuela during school breaks. It...it reminds me of her."

"Reminds?"

"Well, she didn't die, but her tenaga, and her jiwa, were badly damaged. No one can fully tell how, or why, but she hasn't been herself."

"Devi, I'm so sorry to hear that, that sounds horrible!" I said.

Devi nodded slowly, and said, "But even before that, she wasn't herself. She was becoming disconnected way before there was anything totally off about her."

I frowned sadly. "Wow, Devs. That's...I'm so sorry to hear that," I took another bite of my rigatoni, not knowing what to say. Apparently, neither did Devi, so we lapsed into a comfortable silence for the rest of the meal.

A/N: Hey guys! sorry for taking a while to update, how are you liking the story so far?? this was basically a filler chapter tbh. I loved Fiona and Devis' date <3 did you? there will be more (ship name here) content in the next few chapters, I just wanted to say thanks so much for reading this story, it's gotten over a hundred views and wow, that's so awesome- anyways, see u next time, and comment on what you wanna see next <3 <3 <3