Chapter Thirteen

"Kelly, truth or dare?" Asked Devi.

"Ooh, truth! Give me a good one!"

"OK...how many boys have you kissed?"

"Eww! Devi, I said a good one!" Devi giggled at Kellys' face. I rolled my eyes, and said, "OK, my turn. Devi, truth!"

Devi sighed. "Hmm, tell us about your family, Fee." I laughed/"That's not how the game works-"

"Pause game," Devi interjected.

I rolled back onto my ankles and sighed. "I mean, what is there to tell?"

Kelly laughed, and said, "For one, they live in town!" I sighed. This was true; while most kids had to spend all the time, save holidays, away from their family, I could, in theory, go visit them anytime they wanted.

"And for another, you have, like, a bajillion siblings and cousins!" chimed in Devi.

I sighed. "I guess you guys are right...but really, the cousins and siblings are just an annoyance. Good thing they weren't there the last time I was..." I gasped and stopped talking. Devi and Kelly exchanged a worried look, but before they could enquire as to what had happened, I jumped up and started pacing.

"It all makes sense! Guys, don't you see? They weren't there when I got home! And just before that, I had performed serious magic! The plants!"

"Omigosh!" exclaimed Kelly, catching on. "If they had been there-"

"They could have been infected!" finished Devi. "Them not being there probably saved them!"

I nodded and wrung my hands about once more. "But, could they have known-?"

"I doubt it," said Devi, thoughtfully. "You're one of the only magical ones in your family, right?" I stopped to consider this, and my shoulders drooped with the realisation.

"Ugh, you're right! The only other magical family member is my cousin, and she's not even spirit-based, so there was no way they could have predicted..." I trailed off as I sat dejectedly on my bed.

"Oh, cheer up Fee!" said Kelly, plopping down next to me. "On the bright side, you know that they're safe and uninfected!"

I managed a smile, and settled back into the game. But the thoughts of my family still stewed in the back of my mind. Later that night, I lay awake, wondering.

I knew they couldn't have gotten back to Ireland - it was too far away. Although I didn't know the exact location of the school - the building was covered in a warp charm, so even though it appeared to border the village, it could in fact be countries away - it was too far for my whole family to travel on such short notice.

Not to mention, I was still at school! I was positive that my family would not leave without me!

And, I had just been on the verge of death, which meant that my parents would have been told if anything was wrong. And so they would have never left without making sure I was safe!

Right?