chapter one

taehyung knew a few things in the world.

one- health insurance was a scam.
two- the most expensive meals were always best.

and lastly, the sun rose too soon; but that was technically a fact.

a gentle dusting of gold, crept through sheer curtains and onto the silk sheets that coated the oversized bed. for a cat, it was heaven to be splashed in the face with the gentle sheen of morning but to taehyung, it was pure torture.

his head seemed to have residents, knocking against the edges leaving a never-ending series of bruises and busted nerves that only worsened when he dare open his eyes. everything that entered his ears was amplified, the snoring of his best friend whose overly heavy leg was laid against his torso made that all too apparent.

"shut off your fucking alarm!" tae growled in an attempt to make it stop, knowing damn well he'd have to do it himself, "jimin!"

the older stirred, strands of dirty blonde hair tickling the edge of his nose as he dared to twist over to where the pillows could bury him, "what?" his voice was muffled by goose feather filled monstrosities that took up more of the bed than the two humans in it.

"shut off your alarm!" tae kicked him, a bid to get him to at least move his phone closer.

"you shut off your alarm!" his tone was mocking, condescending even.

it was beyond evident he wasn't going to be shutting off anything until at least half past noon.

taehyung rose from the mattress, back cracking in the process; his whole body felt like it had been hit by a truck. he was slowly coming to realize that hangovers felt a bit different as you crept into your late twenties- harder, more intense...

but, always worth it. last night hadn't been an exception.

from the edge of the end table, a phone continued to blare but upon closer inspection, the nightmare only escalated.

his brother was calling.

tae coughed up whatever ounce of strength he could muster before answering, "yes?"

"you're supposed to be at the office today!" the shuffling of papers and mumbled demands to an assistant could be heard all too clearly.

"well i'm not."

"okay but you're supposed to be." the man on the other line seemed to pose it more as a statement.

taehyung interrupted it as a suggestion, "i'm not coming in today joon..." he searched for an excuse, "i'm dru- i mean sick. forward anything urgent to my assistant."

"you can't keep doing this."

it was impossible not to mock the sternness coming from that tone, "i can do whatever i want."

"you're a child!"

"and you're boring!" taehyung knew he was acting immature, "now have a great day and tell dad i say hi."

"taehyung i swear-,"

he cut the call short, ignoring the way his brother's name continued to pop up to indicate that he was just going to keep calling. the ability to silence his phone was a momentary godsend.

"who was it?" jimin seemed to have woken up enough to hear bits and pieces of what could have been important.

"namjoon, wanted me to come into the office!" taehyung fiddled with his hands, "can you believe that?"

"that he wants you to take over some of the work load that has been dumped on him? yeah, i can't believe it." the blonde propped himself on an elbow, his free hand sweeping greasy strands of hair out of his eyes, "what are we going to do today instead?"