chapter seven

taehyung attempted to count the tiles of the meeting room. they laid in rows of twelve which made for easy multiplication but that would be cause his little distraction to move too quickly.

he instead, counted each individually, whispering out loud every time he got through five more which he could tell was leaving his two guests, less than amused.

"are you even paying attention?" namjoon flicked the thin skin on his hand, causing his reflexes to kick in and tug his hand away.

"what was that for?" he rubbed the spot gingerly.

"pay attention!" his father demanded attention and he always received it, "now taehyung, at the next board meeting we'll announce your position as vice president of finance and namjoon will remain as the chief financial officer. he will oversee you and i will oversee you both!"

"who is catering the meeting?"

"is that really what's on your mind?" it was evident that his brother was annoyed, the sharp tone and the tossing of the pen onto his legal pad making it overly apparent.

"it was just a question!" taehyung defended, his own arms crossed over his chest.

"that place who makes the charcuterie boards you like!" his father mediated the situation with ease, "now, moving onto the next order of business..."

taehyung knew what was being said was important. he also knew that namjoon was writing down every word that was being spoken and would surely send over the meeting minutes as he always did.

his almond orbs scanned down to his phone. ever since breakfast him and jungkook had been texting most of their days away, only pausing for clients and sleep. it was interesting getting to know somebody in such an organic way, somebody who didn't know of his past or where he came from-

he liked being able to share new information with jungkook who seemed genuinely intrigued by it all. not many people would give him that time or that effort, to see through the outward facade that he kept displayed. 

it was refreshing.

he felt himself clicking a quick message about how boring this meeting is. how he didn't want the title, didn't care about the constant side eye that namjoon was giving him, how he wanted to hop on a flight tonight and just go anywhere but here. he was feeling stir crazy, choked by a tie and an overpriced suit. smothered by the stale air of old coffee.

that had been almost an hour ago and he hadn't seen a response. he assumed that jungkook was with a client, living his passion out in real time. what a treat! what a thrill! to do what you love day in and day out and get paid for it. and on your own time? sure he had a business to keep afloat but if he wanted to take a week off, he was able to just leave his schedule open or turn the keys over to yoongi.

taehyung tried to bring his mind back to the conversation in front of him. something about the stock market and what type of salad they should order for lunch. he was grateful when his father's assistant poked her head in, "taehyung, somebody is at the front desk for you."

he wondered if it was jimin. sure he had a fob and a key but he loved a dramatic entrance and also tended to lose those types of items more frequently than a normal person. he cleared his throat, "who is it? blonde?"

the woman shook her head, "tall, dark hair..." her voice dropped to a whisper, "gorgeous."

it couldn't be- jungkook?

taehyung blushed just thinking about it, "okay, i'll go down and-,"

"send him up! you should send him up." namjoon intercepted, "whoever it is, i'd like to meet and i'm sure dad would too."