chapter twenty

good nights always had to end.

and they always shifted into mornings that never quite added up. hangovers, headaches, somebody had to make breakfast which either smelled delicious or nauseating, and of course blaring alarms from multiple people's phones.

good nights were always a recipe for next day disaster.

that's why tae was surprised to wake up relatively calm, his head resting sweetly against jungkook's sculpted chest which served as a (very) firm pillow. in fact, he couldn't remember the last night he had slept so soundly.

but, within a second, it all seemed to unravel, his phone vibrating against the wooden night stand. his brother in only boxers at the bedroom door. what had been pure serenity was now absolute chaos.

"did dad call you?" joon had eyes as wide as saucers, evident panic on his face.

"he's calling me right now?" tae attempted to rub the sleep from his eyes, amazed that jungkook hadn't yet woken up from all the commotion.

"it's gram."

in the movies the world would always halt, a total stand still. tae hadn't expected the same to happen in real life, "wh- what?"

"it's gram. they think she had a stroke, they aren't entirely sure. dad found her this morning and the ambulance just brought her-,"

namjoon's rambling was interrupted by gut-wrenching sobs escaping from his younger brother, "she can't die. she can't die." tae repeated it like a mantra.

jungkook was finally stirring due to the shaking figure that he was sharing a bed with. he was surprised to see the boy who always seemed to have a smile in his eyes even when his face said otherwise, crying hysterically, "tae?"

if the moment had been calmer, he would have recognized how husky jungkook's morning voice was but time was already too gone. he needed to move, and now.

"tae!" jungkook tried to snap him back to reality, the brunette moving in a scattered pace as he picked up articles of clothing and threw on two socks, neither of which belonged to him.

"gotta go. gotta get to gram!" he was attempting to wipe his tears as quickly as they came but it was no use. he was a fountain.

"i'll get dressed and i'll drive us."

"i can drive!" jin, who had been sharing a room with namjoon, (which had left him as collateral damage during the morning events) didn't even hesitate to jump in and help.

"i want to come. i'll take my car and trail you guys." jungkook was sliding his own shirt on, grateful he'd brought sweatpants since this day felt like it was going to be long and taxing.

"no! no!" tae put a hand to his chest, "you can't leave your party. it's a whole other night still and-,"

"how can i enjoy myself when you're in this condition." the pads of his thumbs wiped the tears from the brunette's eyes, "you want to ride with me and we'll follow namjoon and jin?"

between hiccups, tae nodded.

"we'll meet you there!" jungkook had already packed his entire bag, made the bed, and shut the light off. he grabbed tae's as well, leading him outside where the air was fresher; where everything seemed way to bright to be happening on the day of a tragedy.

taehyung found his way into the passenger seat, unable to control the way his body was rejecting emotion and adapting to fear of the unknown. he needed more information yet he wasn't sure he wanted it. it probably wouldn't make any of this better.