chapter nineteen

upstate roads moved like ocean waves surrounded by forest covered land and pavement with bumps and lumps all along. tae groaned in annoyance each time they hit one; jimin's driving was leaving his breakfast daring to make a second round.

"do you think the cake is okay?" jimin glanced back in his rear view to check on the one item he was tasked with bringing besides himself.

"if i throw up all over it, it won't be." tae huffed, "can't you drive better?"

"can you be nicer?"

the brunette was grateful to see the exit in the distance, the gps demanding they take a right into the tiny town.

it was quaint, perfect for a getaway from the city and brimming with locals. tae loved to see what kind of little tourist shops popped up in places like this- a store that sold maple candy, another with rocks and crystals- it was fascinating how such tiny shops could make enough money to fund lifestyles.

"when is namjoon coming?"

"after work."

"surprised he let you leave early!" jimin nudged his friend playfully.

"namjoon doesn't control my schedule!" tae rolled his eyes, "besides, i told him you were driving and would probably die without me and since he's witnessed your driving first hand, he let me go."

"you're driving on the way home since you want to be rude about it!" jimin pulled into a tiny driveway that led to an oversized victorian style home. two floors and a tower on the outside, peaked roofs, and a wrap around porch.

tae could see a fire pit in the back yard, surrounded by chairs and near a grill and outdoor dining space. he would never tell jimin but this place was beautiful and even if nothing came to fruition between him and jungkook, he was enjoying the ambiance enough to compensate.

"yoongi is already inside with hobi." jimin popped the trunk grabbing both bags while the brunette was left with the cake.

he stared at the triple tiered, chocolate monstrosity with delight; he'd always had a sweet tooth.

"you made it!" flaming red hair appeared at the door, j-hope, adorned in oversized cargo pants and a printed sweater. he was perfectly dressed for such a campy affair, "come in, come in."

tae and jimin set everything aside, admiring the interior space of the rental. it was evident that a certain male was in charge of the vision and the other in charge of labor as noted by the mound of various colored balloons and personalized (albeit overpriced) decorations.

"tae, did you bake this cake?" hobi was impressed, his eyes practically falling from their sockets.

"absolutely not. neither of these two can cook for shit!" yoongi yelled from the top of the ladder only to receive a glare from his boyfriend.

"i'll knock your ladder down and then not take care of you if you want to continue to sass me!"

"what do you need help with?" the brunette opted to avoid the petty fight between the other two.

j-hope handed him a bag brimmed with decorations, "i was thinking we could do lights and streamers on the railing outside, and then maybe hang like a sign?"

tae glanced in the bag that was brimming with supplies, "i'm on it!"

what he had anticipated taking only an hour, had turned into a few. the cold air of upstate had chilled his cheeks, leaving them rosy. his brother had simply laughed once he arrived, surprising everyone by showing up with jin who apparently had offered to give him a ride.