chapter twenty-two

sadness was an unforgettable beast. one that visited in tae's sleep, that disrupted him while brushing his teeth, and that left him bed-ridden on more than one occasion. he found himself speaking to the sky, hoping that if gram was up there she was listening. preparing a sign for him.

despite, he knew that getting dressed and leaving his apartment would be good for him and so when jungkook had requested a date that consisted of comfy clothes, tae couldn't turn it down.

adorned in sweatpants, he crawled into his favorite sneakers, opting for a light jacket to curb any cold breeze that may find him.

he knew that jungkook was downstairs because he was early to everything but tae also knew that jungkook would wait a thousand hours. he was patient like that.

the brunette opted for the stairs, grateful to have an excuse to stretch his legs after he'd been moving from the bed, to the couch, to the kitchen, to the bathtub for the last week or so. it was getting exhausting to just mope.

"i'm here, where are you at?" tae cracked open the door to the stairwell, staring into the main lobby of his building as he tried to find that familiar mop of dark hair.

"i'm sitting. i'm about to stand!" jungkook was hiding in a chair, his arm gripping the sweetest package adorned in a purple bow.

he watched as tae's eyes widened to the size of saucers, "is that?"

both dropped their phones, running to meet each other in the middle. a small black and tan pomeranian tucked in jungkook's embrace. he seemed embarrassed to present such a gift, his arms awkwardly holding out the tiny, tiny pup who seemed immediately smitten by taehyung.

"i talked to jimin and he said that you like to go to the dog park. he also said it's weird because you don't own a dog yet you still go to the dog park. so, i got you a dog, and i figured we could take him to the dog park?" jungkook shifted nervously in place, his hand reaching the back of his neck as he scratched at the hairs that were now standing straight up, "but if you don't want it, i can take it-,"

"are you kidding?" tae had already pulled the dog into the sweetest embrace, allowing the little guy to lick his chin and cheeks raw, "this is- this is unbelievable in the best way."

his eyes were glossy as he stared, "this is the best gift i've ever gotten."

"i just don't want you to be lonely since i know that jimin is with yoongi all the time. hopefully he can keep you company!" jungkook pet the top of the dogs head, grateful that it seemed receptive to an abundance of attention.

"jungkook, i'm serious!" tae was quick to plant a peck on his cheek, "this is insane in like the best way!"

the younger was elated to hear the trace of excitement, the first time he'd heard anything close in days. he pulled a leash from his backpack and clipped it onto the collar, "you ready to take him out on the town?"

"i want to take him everywhere." tae watched as the dogs tiny legs ran across the tile, "i already love him."

jungkook grabbed tae's free hand, looping their fingers together as they started walking to their location. before they could even see it, they could hear the various barks that echoed through the dog park, indicating they were close to chaos.

the younger had never in his life visited such a place but he could see the appeal. cute dogs, owners who were obsessed- basically a free excuse to socialize your animal. they brought the new addition to the small dog area, unleashing him and letting him run free.

he looked so happy to be connecting with the others, always staring back at his dad to make sure it was safe. tae would offer a reassuring smile, ecstatic they had already bonded so deeply. it was like he knew they were each other's person.