chapter thirteen

it was all too apparent that something had changed in tae after that night at the launch party. he'd been at the office almost everyday, he'd been out on dates- with people whom he wouldn't say names of- and mostly, he'd been quiet.

really, really quiet.

jimin had tried to pester him, borrowed him fancy, overpriced jackets and offered to get him ready for dates in exchange for just a name but tae refused. after the jungkook thing blew up in his face- which in some weird way had escalated into being jimin's fault- he wanted the blonde as far away from his love life as possible. in fact, he wanted him far away from all aspects of his lfie.

he'd found himself refusing calls form modeling agencies and fashion companies in exchange for his secretary needing sales numbers and his father needing a dinner partner. he'd gone to a board meeting; it was boring. he'd even offered to buy lunch for his dad and joon twice in the last week.

to the untrained eye- to his father- this was him finally stepping into his role. it seemed like something had switched, something for the better and he made it very clear to both namjoon and the company that his younger son was finally ready for this. joon knew better; could see right through those distressed orbs that monitored emails that were once left unread.

tae wasn't happy.

it was distracting the elder brother from his own tasks, too caught up in what could possibly be bothering the younger who stared blankly out the window as he pretended to jot down notes on a legal pad.

their father was ecstatic about some new partnership, one that was reviewed in the form of an overzealous commercial that featured a couple on the brink of death. it was morbid to think how the potential of dying or contracting a terminal illness was what skyrocketed profit and how immune the whole family was despite the personal tragedies they had suffered.

namjoon tried not to think about it; he left that part to tae but now it seemed that in a room full of sociopaths, one had to play devils advocate, "are you sure these are good people? this seems like a scare tactic. the commercial literally shows an elderly couple in front of headstones!"

tae glanced over, "it's just reality joon. people pay us, until they die, and then we give some of that money back and profit off the rest. i think it looks good!"

"who are you and what have you done with tae?" namjoon wanted to scream.

the bickering was blocked by a knock on the door. his father's assistant was waiting patiently for her chance to speak, all six eyes falling to her, "somebody is here for taehyung."

he glanced down at his phone to see if anyone relevant had mentioned they'd be stopping by. he saw no one, "please send them away; i'm not expecting anyone."

"well jimin always comes unannounced!" joon urged.

"it's not jimin." the assistant piped up, "dark hair-,"

tae knew it was jungkook, "i said, send him away. i don't have time to see anyone unless they have an appointment."

"bullshit." joon muttered the words beneath his breath.

"excuse me?" tae raised a brow, noting how the woman at the door had walked away upon hearing the brink of yet another argument about to break out between the two brothers.

"i said bullshit."

"you nag me for years about not stepping up and now that i do, you aren't happy with it. is it because i'm actually good at this?" taehyung felt the tips of his ears turn red, "or are you thinking that i'll steal your spot for biggest pain in the ass?"

"i just know that this isn't what makes you happy!" namjoon was trying to defend the truth that was being thrown at him. he did often encourage tae to leave his passions in place of work but now that it was a reality; it felt wrong.

"how do you know what makes me happy? i've tried a lot of things, have i ever done anything i don't want to do?" his annoyance was evident in the way he poked his tongue into his cheek.

"boys!" their father piped up from his spot across the desk, "why don't we pause this little argument for lunch and we'll regroup after everyone has calmed down?"

"i am calm!" tae tried to lower the decibel of his voice, failing miserably, "you haven't even seen me not calm!"

they could hear his dress shoes clack against the floor, his office door slam open. he was shuffling thing around, shoving papers into his messenger bag which he looped around his shoulder before heading to the elevator. he was agitated, twitching his shoulders up and down well furiously texting somebody about something.

the doors opened, empty, which meant the assistant had already gone and shooed whoever was at the front desk away. taehyung really didn't have the energy to deal with jungkook right now, or jimin, or anyone for that matter. his only thought was on an oversized salad, brimming with overpriced protein and blue cheese.

he maintained tunnel vision as he stepped off, the lobby bustling with various men and women dressed up in business casual. tae started to pop a headphone in but he was momentarily distracted by the figure dressed in all black, tattooed arms and a sinister smile; jeon jungkook was staring right at him.

"tae! wait!" the boy was quick on his feet, jumping from the chair without hesitation as he ran towards the brunette.

annoyed was an understatement, "i'm busy jungkook. i don't have time!" his feet kept moving despite the fact that the younger was speedy enough to outrun him any day.

"can we just talk for a second?"

he shook his head, "i don't have time to talk to you right now."

"you don't have time or you won't make time?"

"what's the difference?" tae was annoyed, pushing the door open to the parking garage and praying jungkook wouldn't follow him down.

it was no use, the younger could keep going all day with the energy he possessed, "then can i schedule some time? maybe dinner."

"booked out for months! every hour of the day accounted for."

"what are you mad about?" jungkook had paused in the midst of a parking spot, his arms crossed, huffing in annoyance.

"i'm not mad. just busy!"

"and mad!"

"jungkook, it was nice seeing you but i don't have time. okay?" tae felt on the brink of tears seeing the younger in front of him, so handsome, so genuine in his confusion. did he really not know?

how frustrating.

"fine, you don't have time. i get it." jungkook paused momentarily, "but if you find time, please come find me."

tae refused eye contact well he slid into the driver's side of his car, making sure that jungkook had walked all the way to the door before he even thought about pulling away from his spot. on one hand he wondered what would have been said, what words could ever be used to leave him less hurt but maybe their was more to the story.

his heart couldn't afford to stick around and find out.