10. Romantic Interlude

Narrator: Annie

I couldn't deny the great advantage of my abilities, neither the greatness of my sister's. But as everything, they had a cost. Since Akery's training and recent murders I had committed, I couldn't deceive myself to act or even think as a human anymore.

We took Reba, Mat's mom, to a resistance clinic. Once there, after being attended by a barely human guy with gray skin called Cain, Amy went to check her state, as Mat -who was desperately trying to understand the enigmatic news he had just received- and I stayed outside the room sitting in the floor.

- How come I never realized that. I was always so mean to her. - said Mat in a barely audible tone due to anger and pain.

- It's ok; you shouldn't blame yourself about that. Nobody knew it. At least you know she's alive, and not dead or rotting in some Outsiders' prison. - I tried to comfort him, without even realizing how true my words were, my real parents could be anywhere. I felt the urge of having to raid every Outsider base run through me. 

He looked at me in the eyes, a look so deep I could hardly understand what he was feeling, and that second I was really hoping he didn't realize how hard I was falling for him. So I tried not to focus on his glance, but in my burning blood and rage, running up and down my body.

-   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -

*First author's note:

Sorry for dividing this chapter, but I find it essential to show Mat's feelings on the subject, and the #scifriday challenge of this week had to be exactly 300 words long. Please check out the countinuation to start your guessing for chapter 11 :)