6. Short Story

The twins had locked themselves in that cold room for what they calculated to be 8 hours.

Footsteps in the continuous hallway appeared to be coming directly to them. Minutes after the sound faded and their nerves calmed down just a little.

In the total darkness of the cold room except for a small glow of light illuminating most part of the room's floor, Amy convinced Annie to cover them with what seemed to be average dirty snow and created as fast as they could a snow fort to hide them both.

Again fear flooded the environment as footsteps started to waylay. The footsteps kept getting closer and adrenaline running through their veins, making them ready to react. The sound kept chasing the twins, who patiently waited for the perfect moment to ambush the unknown enemy.

Suddenly, the small glow of light was no longer as small as it was seconds before but a perfect illumination. Someone had turn on the lights, and the girls were left totally exposed. Amy took the rock she had been sharpening for hours.

"You lock the door at my signal. I kill the man." said Amy telepathically

"Ok, I get it." Annie replied as she took a metal stapler that shone with the light and enhanced her survival instinct.

"Hey what's going on here? Who are you?" someone interrupted the teens telepathic conversation, leaving them astonished. They had been talking that way the whole time. That was the only advantage they thought they had over the Outsiders in that underground labyrinth with millions of secrets holding conspirative theories for a world war against the Outsiders, and alien spies.

If this creature was an Outsider-which sure was because it was freezing in there just as it used to be in their colossal mothership-, then Outsiders have listened to us the whole time, and simply let us go... why would they do that?, who was this being that could listen to us? Was he good? Annie thought, not being able to send a word to her sister.

After some minutes of silence, the creature introduced himself thelepatically: "I'm Jeb Venters, from the Milky Way Galaxy as well." And then added with spoken words: "It's better to speak with your mouth than telepathically. If you've got any weapons, please leave them and come here so that I can explain you what's really going on."

After doubting for a few seconds, Annie decided to put the stapler in the huge pockets of her oversized high-wasted jeans, and stand out of the snow fort knowing Amy -who threw at her a death glare- would save her if anything went wrong.

"I'm Annie Clark. I'd definitely want to know how you interrupted our conversation." Said Annie feeling relieved after a really long time, as she knew as well that Amy had her back, and had never failed saving them.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Matthew Darden, but you may call me Mat." Replied the total stranger inspiring mistrust to the girl.

"Hadn't you said your name was Jeb?" replied Annie letting go an air of preoccupation, as she put her hand her pocket trying to reach for the stapler.

"Yeah, but are you conscious that when you talk telepathically every being that has telepathic abilities can listen to you within a radius of 500 km. around you?" said the stranger justifying himself.

"Al right so why didn't the outsiders stop us when we were running away?"

"Even I, here down below the surface could hear your real names were Annette & Amelie Veil... Do you know what that means?" Questioned Mat surprised with a shine of happiness and respect on his eyes.

"No" said Annie internally wondering if that meant their salvation or their ruin.

"Of course we know." irrupted Amy in a defiant tone, as she jumped out of the ice fort, to the subtle lrical rhyme of those words.