Chapter 12 - MANDRAGORA

CEDRIC DIGGORY POV - Hufflepuff Quidditch Captain

It was Tuesday, two more weeks until Durmstrang would play their first game against Slytherin. Cedric hadn't seen Lyova since they had gone to the black lake together, but today he would in Herbology. Professor Sprout had gathered all students from higher years she could to help her plant the almost fully grown mandrakes with their opposite sex as they were coming to season.

"Three sickles on Rickett fainting," Cedric could hear his seat neighbour whisper.

"Last time, he was on the floor when they were only seedlings," one of his chasers snickered, nudging Rickett, who shook his head in annoyance.

"It was one time in the second year, and I wasn't wearing my ear muffs correctly."

Cedric chuckled as he listened to their encounter. The greenhouses were so heated up that he'd rolled up his sleeves to endure the temperature better.

The door to the greenhouses opened again, and Lyova entered, followed by Lazarev, who silently closed the door behind them. They walked through the rows of tables and took the seats on his opponent.

Lazarev nodded to Cedric, who gave him a small wave before nodding at Lyova. She nodded her head but quickly looked away. From that close, he could see the dark rings under the eyes. She deeply breathed in and, almost unnoticeably, flinched, as if she was in pain. Lazarev shot her a look and frowned but stayed quiet.

"Alright, good morning, students," Professor Sprout huddled to the front of the tables, raising her arms to gain attention.

"Most of you already know that we will use these lessons to replant out almost grown mandrakes. They need to be planted with their opposite sexes to hopefully expect many new seedlings in the following school year."

Cedric looked at the plant in front of him. When they were earthed, they looked like a regular home plant.

"I know that most of you already had the pleasure to replant them, but we will do it again because we have some students here that never worked with them." Professor Sprout motioned towards the Durmstrangs, smiling excitedly. "Who can tell us something about the Mandrake?"

"Mandrake, or Mandragora, is a powerful restorative. It is used to turn people who have been transfigured or cursed to their original state. The cry of the Mandrake is fatal to anyone who hears it," a girl to Cedric's left had said without hesitation.

"Again, 10 points to Gryffindor, that is correct. Thank you, Miss Applebee," Professor Sprout smiled. "Now, please, everybody, grab a pair of earmuffs and put them close to your ears. We don't want anybody to faint today." She gave Anthony Rickett a significant look. Rickett nodded slowly, his cheeks reddening to which some students began to laugh.

Cedric put his earmuffs on and looked at Lyova, who also grabbed a pair, placing them over her ears. She exchanged an insecure look with Lazarev and turned around to hear what Professor Sprout told about the next step.

The witch positioned in front of the students again and pointed at two mandrakes.

"I already marked the plants' sexes on the pots. Usually, the female ones are to be recognized on slimmer leaves. You're working in pairs, now. Each of you grabs a mandrake of different sex. You grab them tightly and pull them out of the earth. You then place them together into a bigger box and cover it with fresh earth. Questions?" The students shook their heads.

"Now listen, everybody. I'll put another protection spell on the earmuffs. Now that the mandrakes are almost fully grown, their scream could easily rib your eardrums." Professor Sprout raised her wand and went through the rows of students, casting a spell on each of them.