Chapter 31 - UP

LYOVA RASMUSSEN POV - Durmstrang Quidditch Captain

Lyova walked with her teammates to get some breakfast. Today, she would help the first-years with their flying lessons, and tomorrow would be their match against Hufflepuff.

Lyova remembered her first flying lessons. When she was ten years old, Alexej had proudly presented her his first broom, which he had received as a birthday gift from their parents. Later, when Alexej had bought a newer one, she had flown his Comet. Lost in thoughts, Lyova almost overlooked the additional chair at the Durmstrang table that was usually not there.

She sent Farkas a questioning look, but he only raised his shoulders before sitting down to eat. Lyova was reading an article in the daily prophet's sports section when somebody pulled the empty chair aside.

Raising her head, annoyed by the noise, her mouth slightly dropped at the sight of the man holding the back of the chair. Everybody at the table stopped talking and sat upright.

The new man was none other than Emeryk Kasprzak, Headmaster Karkaroff's aide. A former Durmstrang student who had come back after he had graduated to work for Karkaroff, sniffing around and reporting every rule violation without mercy.

"Rasmussen, pleasure seeing you and your team," the man greeted her. He sat down, waiting for her to welcome him back.

"Kasprzak, what gives us the pleasure?" Lyova cleared her throat, laying the newspaper aside. She looked around, noticing curious looks from the other students.

"Headmaster Karkaroff sent me to watch your next game and later report to him how you're doing. I thought he had sent you an owl." Kasprzak raised an eyebrow.

Lyova slowly shook her head and watched him pouring himself some coffee.

"How long will you stay?" she asked, causing him to smile lightly.

"Can't wait to get rid of me?"

"N-No, that's not what I meant," Lyova fastly stammered. It was one of the rare occasions her teammates saw her that insecure.

"I will leave tomorrow after your game," he smirked at her.

Lyova could feel her teammates eyeing her but tried to blend them out.

Nodding, she poured herself some coffee as well. She already had worked with Kasprzak, and it made her nervous that he was the one to report to Karkaroff everything they were doing. He was strict. Lyova took a sip from her coffee and nearly choked as she felt Orlov kicking her under the table, almost invisibly grinning at her.

There had been rumours about Kasprzak and Lyova because of how closely they used to work. As captain, she had been responsible for the new recruits and had to report to Kasprzak what was going on every once in a while.

Lyova sent Orlov a cold glare and shook her head before getting up and grabbing her bag. "Practice is at five."

"I am coming with you," Kasprzak quickly said and got up.

"Fine," Lyova mumbled, and they walked side by side to the Quidditch Pitch.

"Headmaster Karkaroff was concerned to hear that you lost your last game," Kasprzak announced after some time.

Lyova turned around to him while walking and observed his expressions. He looked at her.

"He doesn't have to be. We had serious reasons to lose. We won't do it again."

Kasprzak didn't look convinced but kept quiet.

Lyovas eyes wandered over the tribunes. "You can sit down there. I'll go and change."