0 - 6

You beg for some sort of training. If they're going to let you out of the walls, you ought to at least be somewhat prepared. At least, that's what you tell your doctor.

Fizal says it's unwise, but you go to Erwin, and he agrees to get Hange to show you the basics. Hange has visited you several times in the past few months, and it feels nice to be able to build up a friendship with someone that isn't completely focused on your lack of memory.

The first thing they show you are the horses. Getting up on one is a little unnatural, and the horse doesn't seem to like you that much. Hange laughs as you swing upside in your saddle, nearly smacking your head against the ground. You tuck your chin in at the last second. "I've got- I've got a faulty saddle!" you excuse quickly.

Hange laughs. "You almost hit your head! You want more amnesia?"

"Obviously not!" you say with a scowl, trying to separate yourself from the horse.

"How would that work?" they muse. "Does the amnesia, like, multiply? Would you forget things even more than you've already forgotten them?"

"Is that even possible?" you growl under your breath. You finally manage to get your foot out of the stirrup, and you collapse in a heap to the ground. The horse neighs above you, almost in amusement. "Oh, shut up," you grumble to the horse.

Hange laughs again and offers you a hand. You let them help you to your feet, and you brush off your pants. Erwin returned your old uniform, which wasn't much: beige pants, a white-collared shirt, a brown jacket, and a green cloak with the winds insignia on it. You'd left both the cloak and the jacket behind. It didn't feel right to wear them. "Don't worry," Hange says, breaking you out of your thoughts. "You'll be riding tandem with Levi, so he'll take care of most of the work. All you have to do is hold on."

You sigh, looking back at the horse. "No, it's fine," you say firmly. "I want to do this."

"Alright," they say with a sigh as you start attempting to get back up on your horse. "Yeah, you've got it. Like that. Yep, put your foot there- you've got it! Nice, Logan!" Hange calls as you hastily takes the reins of the horse, eager not to fall off again. "Yeah, nice and gentle, just take her forward- oh, crap!"

The horse neighs and rears back. Somehow, you manage to stay on, your hands twisting into the reins and the horse's mane. "Holy shit!" you cry as the horse gallops forward.

You don't manage to hold on for much longer. The horse turns so sharply that you fall sideways. Determined not to get tangled in the saddle again, you manage to slip your feet out of the stirrups and let yourself fall off. The grass does little to break your fall, but it doesn't hurt much. Maybe you're used to falling down a lot.

"It's progress!" Hange shouts.

Your horse trots back to the barn, looking awfully damn proud of itself.

"Yeah," you scowl through gritted teeth. "Progress."

.

Your weeks before the expedition are consumed with learning how to ride that stupid horse, learning the Survey Corps formations from either Hange or Erwin, and the basics of titans with Hange. So, surprisingly, your unsuccessful riding lessons have been the highlight.

After several unsuccessful attempts of bonding with your horse, Hange introduces you to Mike- only after asking if it's okay that they share your situation with him. "He's one of our best!" they say in assurance. "And I'm sure he won't care that you've got amnesia."

"Sure," you say with a shrug. Why not add to your very short list of people who you know?

When you meet Mike, he doesn't feel familiar. He's tall, with faded brown hair and a mustache, and he holds himself with the dignity of a soldier. He's wearing the full Survey Corps uniform- pants, boots, shirt, jacket- but somehow he feels more professional than Hange, who almost looks like they're playing dress up when compared to Mike.