Chapter 2

Past

Nicole

Nicole

"I'll pick you up at 3 pm as usual, sweetheart. Then, we're going shopping!" My mom states as we reach our destination.

My first school week wasn't as I expected it to be, it shattered all the expectations I had. It has been a year since we moved to Haverhill and I thought school was going to be the best way to meet some new friends, but I was completely wrong. All the kids my age seem to know each other since generations so all their groups are already made, it's difficult to include myself.

"I love you, Nicole. Have a beautiful day!" My mommy pulls me out of my thoughts before pecking me on my cheek.

"See you later, mommy. Love you!" I reply as I get out of our brand new car. The school grounds are only filled by a few people. As I speed-walk towards my classroom a whimper stops me dead in my tracks.

"Pl-please stop!" I hear a boy's voice coming from a classroom, the door has been left ajar. I don't hesitate twice before closing the distance between the door and I. As I reach the door, I see a blond haired boy sniffing and bleeding on the floor, his face has a predominant bruise. Two boys stand right next to him, eyeing the poor guy with smirks on their faces, the red haired one has his fists clenched while the brown haired boy laughs at the little boy who starts sobbing on the floor. Their features are disfigured by devilish and wicked smiles. The red haired one mutters something to his friend before punching the whimpering boy again.

"Stop!" A shout surprises me by escaping my lips and they spin around, turning their eyes to me. I know I've caught them off guard. Their facial expressions express embarrassment and fear but it's all gone after a few seconds.

"I thought you had closed the door! Go get her!" The red haired boy orders while pointing his bloody finger in my direction. My heart starts beating a dangerous cadence as his companion starts running toward me at full speed, not giving me a chance to run away.

"Shut up, bitch!" He hisses and grabs me hard enough to make a bruise, a tear escapes the corner of eye as his hand covers my mouth.

"Fuck..." The redhead whispers and before I can proceed his words I'm pulled out of his friend's hands. I lose my balance and just when I think I'm about to fall face down, someone's arms catch me, stealing my breath away.

"I gotcha! Did they hurt you?" My savior breathes and his arms tighten around my shaking body like he's afraid I will disappear from his grasp.

"Thank you and no...you came just in time." I finally voice and find the courage to raise my gaze to his. My breath catches in my throat as the greenest eyes collide with my blue ones. His dark hair contrasts perfectly with his olive skin.

"C-Carter! Stop! We're sorry. It won't happen again!" The red haired boy begs, pulling me out of my trance, and that's when I notice three other boys. One of them, Carter I presumed, punches the red haired boy, ignoring his pleas.

"Carter!" A blond haired boy warns as he holds the redhead's friend. Right next to him stands a brown haired boy with his arms crossed, a smile full of mischief dances on his face.

After a few uncountable seconds, Carter finally stops his torture, his eyes turn to me and then to the little boy who is agonising from the previous torment.

"Overstep your boundaries one more time and I'll make sure you'll regret it your entire and ridiculous life. If this school must fear someone it surely isn't some brainless scumbag." Carter growls before releasing the red haired boy, his friend repeats after him.

"What's your name?" Carter focuses his attention on me while the two bullies fly away.

"Nicole." I respond while trying to sound confident, but failing miserably.

"They won't hurt you anymore, Nicole. Let's go, now. Vaughn? Let her go." Carter adds and that's when I notice I'm still in the mystery boy's arms. Vaughn clears his throat before releasing me, the lack of the warmth his arms  makes me dizzy instantly. They all walk away and that's when I noticed that I've  been holding my breath for the short period of time these events occurred.

3 pm

My school day goes by like a blink of an eye. After the brutal episode I headed straight to my first class. I told Miss Barsetti, my teacher, I had overslept and that was the reason why I was late. At the first I wanted to tell her the truth but I didn't want Carter and his friends to have problems. After all they saved me and the little boy, the latter ended up going to the school nurse for his wounds.

At midday, when I was lunching by myself in the cafeteria, I was surprised to notice everyone muttering and gossiping about the incident. Fortunately, the only ones involved in the story were Carter, his friends, the two tormentors and their victim. I breathed out and closed my eyes, the last thing I wanted was being everyone's center of attention.

Shaking my head, I snap out of my thoughts and my eyes find my mom, leaning against our car. Right to her stands an elegant woman.

"Nicole! Sweetheart!" My mom bellows and kisses me on my cheek when I reach her.

"Hello!" I voice and wave at the black haired woman.

"This is Layla Bates! She's a friend of mine." My mom explains and her friend caress my cheek.

"Nice to meet you, Nicole! You're such a beautiful girl." She says with a genuine smile plastered on her face.

"She turned six years old a few weeks ago. She's one year younger than your little boy..." My mommy declares before tucking a strand of my hair behind my ear.

"Oh he's coming! Vaughn!" Layla shouts and my heart skips a beat. My gaze follows Layla's line of sight, following on the mysterious boy.

"Hi honey! How was your day?" My mom's friend asks his son and my eyes lock with his. He seems as shocked as I'm and doesn't bother hiding his confusion.

"It was good..." He responds and adjusts his backpack.

"Let me introduce you Mia and her daughter, Nicole Reed. Nicole here's my son, Vaughn." Layla clears up and her son as her son and I keep staring at each other.

"Hi...nice to meet you." I pretend we don't know each other.

"You should come at our place this weekend to dinner." My mom's friend suggests and I mentally beg my mom to refuse.

"It would be with pleasure!" She replies and I squeeze my eyes shut.

And that's when hanging around his house became a habit of mine.

___

Vote & comment