Chapter 3

Present

Nicole

"Morning, sweetie! How did you sleep?" Layla Bates questions me as soon as I enter her kitchen. The smell of pancakes and coffee instantly welcomes my nostrils, making my mouth water.

"Hi! I slept like a baby!" I lie in a joyful tone. After Vaughn's visit I tried my best to fall asleep but my thoughts couldn't stop wandering in the past. I couldn't stop wondering how Vaughn and I got here, to the point where he can't the stand the sight of me.

Where did we fail?

"Nicole? Are you ok? You zoned out for a second..." Layla pulls me out of my thoughts and I clear my throat.

"Sorry...you were saying?" I ask while taking a bite of my pancake. I moan as my taste buds orgasmed from its delicious taste. Layla laughs at my reaction before handing me my hot cappuccino.

"Do you have plans for today?" She demands and just as I'm about to reply, Vaughn greets us with his presence. He's already dressed up in black pants and black hoodie, his hair looks as if he has been running his hand through his hair.

"Morning." He speaks and doesn't spare a glance at me. His mom addresses him a big smile before offering him a coffee, he simply refuses with a shake of head.

"Carter's waiting for me, I don't have time, mom." He voices, avoiding my gaze.

"Carter can definitely wait! Nicole arrived yesterday and you weren't here to welcome her. I want us to spend some time together, now sit down and take your breakfast, honey." Layla replies and his son exhales hard, his eyes meet mine for a brief second before he decides to grab a fresh pancake. His mom's face brighten as Vaughn takes a bite of a pancake before taking a gulp of his drink.

"My friends and I planned to meet at the Smiths... then we'll probably go shopping." I remember Layla's previous question as I reach my hand out for a second pancake.

"That's great! You can take one of our cars...Your mom told me you haven't had the opportunity to buy one!" Vaughn's mom offers and my heart skips a beat. His son stops chewing on his pancake and frowns, obviously dissatisfied to hear his mom's suggestion.

"T-thank you but I-" I start but don't have the opportunity to finish speaking my thoughts.

"Listen, sweetie. You need a car and we own a few ones that we don't use. Please...it would make me happy if you accepted." Layla stares at me and my heart clenches slightly. I was actually thinking to call a cab if I needed to go out. I highly doubted Vaughn or his mom would have loved chauffeuring me every time I needed.