Chapter 13

Nicole

Nicole

"Morning, sweetie! Ready to restart school?" Layla asks as soon as I storm into the kitchen. She moves around the kitchen counter with a coffee mug in one hand. A small smile spreads across her face as she cocks her head to the side, the intensity of her gaze pins me in place.

"Hi, Layla! Not really to be honest..." I answer after swinging my bag over my shoulder.

"Everything will be fine! Don't worry! And Vaughn will be there to keep an eye on you." She teases in an attempt to reassure me as she walks over to the fridge and takes a bottle of orange juice out. I snort out a laugh while doing my best to keep my face neutral. I swallow the sudden lump in my throat as her words play back in my mind on repeat.

It's been two days since I last saw Vaughn. Two days since Nate's party and my sleepover with the girls. I haven't seen him since that night we played Truth or Dare.

I hope he's okay...

"I-Is he going to school, today? I haven't seen him in a while." The sentence is out of my mouth before I can stop myself. Layla pauses for a brief moment before closing the distance between us.

"Yes, he is. He came back home this morning and has already left for school."  Layla explains as she hands me the bottle of orange juice.

"Thank you, Layla." I say, my voice dropping to a whisper.

"Don't mention it! Can I tell you something, Nicole?" Layla questions with no amusement in her tone while shifting from foot to foot.

"Y-Yes of course!" I breathe out and goosebumps trail across my skin when I see pain flashing in her gaze.

"I don't know when this is going to stop..."  She trails off after blowing out a sigh and darting her eyes away.

"What do you mean?" I ask, swallowing down the lump in my throat. She stays silent as I try to register her words.

"I don't know how to help Vaughn anymore. I've been trying to convince Aaron to cancel Vaughn's wedding but he doesn't want to hear me out." She explains and her shoulders drop in defeat. It takes a few seconds for her words to sink in.

"W-What about Vaughn?" I manage to speak as an indescribable feeling takes root in my stomach.

"Vaughn? He's been trying to fight this situation with his whole being since day one but now I think he's accepting the fact that it will probably never change anything. No matter how hard he tries to prevent it to happen." She murmurs, her voice comes out breathy.

"W-We need to do something! What can we do? W-What can I do, Layla? There must be something!" I ask desperately as my heart thunders in my chest, unwanted thoughts crowd the back of my mind and I struggle to chase them away. Blowing out a deep breath, Layla tilts her head and locks her eyes with mine.