Chapter 4

Present

Nicole

He's wearing a white t-shirt and black loose pants. I blink the moment I notice black ink covering his arms.

I had no idea he had tattoos.

"I-I didn't hear anything! I was just passing by!" I lie and he keeps staring at me, fully aware of the lies coming from my mouth. He slowly starts walking towards me, making my heart skip a few beats. We're alone and I was in his territory. His kingdom.

He could do anything to me.

"I wish I'd never met you. You know that, right?" Vaughn declares and I try to pretend that his words don't feel like a punch in my stomach. We're now chest to chest and I pray that he can't hear my heart racing. He can't find out how much his presence affects me. His pupils are dilated and I can smell the scent of his cologne mixed to the one of his joints.

"Stop!" I raise my voice to sound confident and he keeps staring at me like my words have no impact on him. We are close, too close of each other and I wonder if my legs could stand the weight of his gaze for much longer. I swallow the lump in my throat as he inches forward, our noses almost touching.

"This won't end the way you think, Nicole." Vaughn promises as I start chewing on my bottom lip to control my emotions, my gaze never leaving his.

"Fuck it." My nemesis mutters and approaches his lips of mine but before I could comprehend his words, the front door bursts open. Vaughn instantly retreats a few steps back. I turn my eyes to find Layla.

"Hi cuties!" She announces while carrying a few bags. I exhale of relief as she seems completely unaware of what was going on between us before she interrupted us.

"Hello, Layla! I missed you." I clear my throat to regain my composure and head toward Layla, earning a look of intense hatred of Vaughn.

"You ok, mum?" Vaughn questions as I reach his mom to help her carrying her bags.

"Yep! I bought some stuff and three pizzas for us, they are still hot! Let's eat!" Layla Bates adds after thanking me for helping her. She heads toward the kitchen and I follow her, not daring to glance at Vaughn as he shots daggers at me. If looks could kill, I would probably be lying on the floor in that moment.

"How was your day, sweetheart?" Layla questions as soon as enter her wonderful kitchen, I drop my bags and help her setting the table so we could start eating. Vaughn join us with his arms crossed, accentuating his tattoos.