Chapter 10

Present

Nicole

"Can you pretend you don't know anything? Vaughn wanted to be the one telling you about this and I don't think he was ready to tell you, yet." She says in a whisper before pushing out of our embrace, her eyes searching mine.

"He isn't ready to tell me about what?" I joke innocently, pretending like I don't know anything. Layla's lips twitch into a real smile as she slides out of her chair.

"I love you, sweetie! I'm glad we finally have the chance to spend some time together." She voices and leans forward to peck me on my cheek. A genuine smile breaks out across my face as she collects her phone off the kitchen counter.

"Thank you for everything, Layla." I breathe, my heart kicking in my chest, and her green eyes lock on mine.

"Don't thank me! Anyway, it's already past midnight, I'm going to bed. Goodnight, sweetie!" She replies after looking down at her phone, a yawn slips out of her mouth.

"Goodnight, Layla! See you tomorrow." I answer as she turns on her feet, wearing a smile that tugs at the corner of her lips.

"I know something happened between you two, and even if I don't what it is, I know Vaughn. I know he cares about you in his own twisted way. Trust me." She adds, halting at the threshold, and my body stills at the mention of his name. Her words send a sharp pain through my chest.

"Layla I—" I start and my stomach knots painfully as my mind flashes back to that night. Slowly, she flicks her gaze over her shoulder and raises one finger, silencing me.

"Don't. I don't want you to tell me anything if you aren't ready to. I just want to let you know that, sometimes, appearances can fool us." She explains and I suck in a sharp breath, my chest raising and failing rapidly.

"So, don't believe everything you hear and see." She adds and the warning in her tone doesn't go unnoticed. Something flashes over Layla's eyes then, she winks at me before disappearing into the hallway.

I won't be getting any sleep tonight.

___

My Iphone's ringtone sounds off on my bedside table, waking me from my peaceful sleep. I groan and blink my eyes, stirring from the deep sleep, before swiping it from the bedside table and hitting answer.

"H-hello?" I mumble as I rub the sleep from my blue eyes. Glancing my gaze to the lock on the wall, I notice it's already past 10 am. The morning sun peeks through the thin white curtains, and drifts across the bedroom.