X

"So you're telling me nothing happened?" Jamie asked doubtfully as he looked at his newly reformed friend.

"Nothing happened," Dominic confirmed as he switched through the radio stations on his car before stopping at a familiar song. As Alicia Keys and Usher sang their classic song, a smile crept over his face from the memory of the night before. Unable to help himself, he found himself singing along with it but stopped abruptly when he noticed his friend's face. "What?"

"Ah hell no. She got you singing My boo? That's the ultimate whipped tune. And you know damn well you can't sing."

"She didn't seem to mind last night."

"You sang for her! You? Dominic Carter. Sang?" His disbelief radiated off of him and Dominic shrugged, not sure what else to say.

"I have got to meet the woman who has you singing corny ass Usher," Jamie muttered under his breath and Dominic laughed before pulling into the driveway. He shut the engine off before reaching into the backseat and grabbing the folder that laid on the seat.

"Dude, do you have the wrong address? Where the hell are we?"

"The last known address of Miss Evelyn Mitchell," Dominic said looking down at the folder in front of him and Jamie raised an eyebrow in his direction.

"You're still looking for that old employee? How good was she?"

"She was great and that's the problem. With a woman who has that much potential, it won't be long before someone scoops her up and we can't afford to lose her or have her take our best clients with her."

"Well at least this is more on par with the Dominic I grew up with. Always working."

"And that will never change," Dominic reminded him as he slipped out of the car and headed towards the front door.

"Who knows? Your already singing and shit," Jamie muttered and Dominic chose to ignore him and instead knocked on the door. It swung open almost immediately. But he didn't get who he was expecting; the short wallflower with an interesting choice of style as quoted by her colleagues. No, the middle-aged six-foot four-man with the body of a linebacker was not what he had expected.

"Are you my 12 o'clock appointment?" The man asked looking down at his watch and before Dominic could answer, Jamie responded.

"Yup, that's us."

"Alright come in then," the bulky man grunted as he stepped back so they could pass. They entered the small apartment and instantly, Dominic tried to picture the mysterious Evelyn Mitchell. From her file, she was African American, five three and had black hair and brown eyes. She had gone to an HBCU, graduating top of her class before getting an internship that turned into a job at Carter enterprises. But after that, there was nothing. No social media presence, no online yearbooks to be found and no photos of her from around the office. She was practically a ghost. But Dominic hadn't given up and after some serious digging, he had managed to find her mailing address from when they had still mailed checks to employees.

But this was not what he had expected. Pastel pink wallpaper that threatened to fall off the walls any second attacked his eyesight the moment they walked inside. The only modern thing in the entire house was the marble countertops and even those looked as if they had seen better days. But she had chosen to live him. And it definitely had to have been a choice with how much she made a year.

"The rent every month is $1300 not including utilities or water. It does come completely furnished as the owner is currently subleasing but any damage is done to the rental unit and the furniture will affect your deposit. Was there any thing in specific you would like to know about the place?"