V

Evelyn was nervous. Standing in front of the mirror in her bedroom, she looked at the woman who stared back at her. No longer Evelyn with the difficult hair that never left the bun, skin that never had makeup and clothes bigger than her regular size was not what she was seeing. Zaneta had washed the temporary dye out of her hair and her brown curls were in a curly afro that fell down to her shoulders. Her makeup was impeccably done courtesy of Anita and the dress. Running her hands down the fabric, Evelyn watched in the mirror as the dress seemed to cup and lift her breasts before synching in her waist just the right way.

    "Do I need to give you a moment alone?" Anita asked, standing at the door frame with a small grin dancing on her lips and Evelyn dropped her hands embarrassed.

    "No sorry. I'm just having a hard time realizing that this is me now."

    "This was always you Evelyn. We didn't do anything except show you the potential you have," Anita reminded her before dropping Evelyn's novel society book on her bed. "I need you to unlock this."

    "Sure but why?" Evelyn asked, grabbing her phone before tapping it and almost immediately, the book opened.

    "Because it's time for your first membership gift."

    "My first gift. So what was all the clothing and salon appointments?"

    "Perks." Anita winked before shuffling through the pages and landing on a page that only had a black border around it. "Alright, now we don't have much time before Gabriella arrives so we have to be quick. I need you to tap the logo on your phone three times and enter this code." Anita relayed a four-digit code and Evelyn followed her instructions, slightly confused but excited. Her first gift?  Evelyn's thoughts were cut short when after she had typed the last number, a buzzing noise sounded from the book. Evelyn watched in amazement as the black border that she thought was a design in the book, was really an outline for a secret compartment in the book. From one end of the border, the page rescinded into the other side, stopping to reveal a gorgeous sequined mask that was the exact colour of the dress she had chosen. Evelyn had a million questions as she lifted the extremely light mask out of the box and watched as the secret compartment closed right back as if it had never been there.

    "How is this even-"

    "The society," Anita answered simply as if that answered everything.

    "But the page is so thin," Evelyn protested, lifting the page to see if there was any difference between it and the pages in the book. There wasn't.

    "Technology is a beautiful thing."

    "Okay, but how did they know the colour of my dress? We only picked that last week and I've had the book with me the entire time. How could they have known?"

    Anita pretended to seal her lips shut and throw away the key and Evelyn's mind was blown. What the hell was this society? Before she could ask any more questions, The doorbell rang reminding her that Gabriella was coming over.

    "I'll grab the door and you put that away," Anita told her motioning to the Novel Society Handbook and Evelyn nodded before grabbing it and storing it in her top drawer. Closing it softly, she slipped on her black stiletto high heels before grabbing the mask that had damn near appeared out of thin air and placed it on her face. It fit perfectly. It was small enough to compliment Evelyn's heart-shaped face but was decorated enough to draw attention and create mystery to who was underneath it.

    "Evelyn, are you nearly done? We are going to be l-- Oh my god! Evelyn, you look amazing!" Gabriella screamed in excitement.

    "So do you, Gabriella," Evelyn replied honestly with a smile. Gabriella had an ombre black to blue dress that complimented her figure well. She wore silver accessories and her mask was silver with blue jewels to decorate it.