Lan Xichen (7)

The sun wasn't even setting when Lan Xichen managed to make it into a town in Hejian, but currently, it was now late into the evening

The sun wasn't even setting when Lan Xichen managed to make it into a town in Hejian, but currently, it was now late into the evening.  Distractions had to be ignored, yet he knows there is still some time before meeting with Lan Wangji.

With His eyes trained forwards, he continued to walk only to halt his steps once he met gazes with someone familiar. The corners of his lips tugged into a gentle smile, and his eyes softened. However, his expression soon turned into that of a concerned and shocked one;

Y/n was stumbling on his footsteps, soon falling to his knees.

Lan Xichen hurried off to help him, and to say he was surprised once his eyes fell on the child, Y/n carried on his back was only a fraction of what he truly felt.

A worker from the nearby Inn was kind enough to approach him, which he was glad for, and the man aided in unwrapping the child from Y/n's back as Lan Xichen began to lift Y/n, to carry him on his back.

He didn't check for a pulse yet since he could feel Y/n's soft breathing on the side of his neck, almost sending shivers down his spine from a feeling Lan Xichen was not accustomed to yet.

Once they entered the inn, curious eyes turned to the well-dressed man before them, not very discrete. Lan Xichen chose to ignore these stares before he walked up to the counter, Y/n on his back, arms around Lan Xichen's neck.

The man behind the wooden counter slightly turned his head in an attempt to get a better view of the person Lan Xichen carried before slowly taking a glance towards the child who resided in the arms of the man who helped Lan Xichen.

"No luck yet? Ah. how many rooms?"

"One would be sufficient. Thank You." was Lan Xichen's reply.

As he was guided upstairs onto the second floor where his temporary room would be, he couldn't help but notice the feeling of arms tightening around his neck and legs slightly moving against his waist as well.

Lan Xichen didn't say anything, not wanting to wake Y/n up yet, or not bother him if he genuinely was awake already.

The man guiding Lan Xichen opened the door to the room and stepped out of the way for Lan Xichen to enter before asking, "This child, should I help and carry him inside as well?"

"Please."

The man nodded before walking in after Lan Xichen.

Lan Xichen gently placed Y/n's sleeping self onto the Inn's bed before allowing the man to let the child down onto the bed as well.

The man who works at the inn gave a polite bow before wishing Lan Xichen a good night and Y/n to get well soon.

Once Lan Xichen heard the sound of the door close, he sat behind a table before taking out his guqin. If anything terrible had happened to Y/n, perhaps a cleansing song would help.

"Xichen...?"