Y/n (5)

Although it had been weeks, almost a month since the sunshot campaign began, the Nie sect troops didn't fail to notice how close they were almost getting to Qishan Wen

Although it had been weeks, almost a month since the sunshot campaign began, the Nie sect troops didn't fail to notice how close they were almost getting to Qishan Wen. It had been the same as every other battle day for Y/n other than the fact that this time, however, he was in charge of supervising the countless dead bodies being picked up to take for count.

"Carefully, don't damage them further," he'd often say. It wasn't that those helping were doing a lousy job, but instead, him being so used to doing the job others were doing for him now; he saw so many mistakes being made that it left him questioning even the tiniest of details.

"Y/n" a soothing voice called, not far from where he stood.

Y/n tilted his head to the side slightly, his arms crossing over his chest. "Deputy Meng." he teasingly said earning him a half-smile from Meng Yao, dimples faint. "The officers have completed the counting of casualties. They will return to their posts tomorrow," he added while making his way towards Meng Yao.

Surely Meng Yao must know Y/n can get work done in no time, and efficiently as well. However, instead of getting the usual, of course, Meng Yao instead replied with, "The sky looks like it will rain soon."

That response was certainly not expected. Of course, if anything, Y/n can see already that the sky is darkening by every passing minute they stand outside. He can already feel the small droplets of rain fall on his head too. If it was supposed to be the start of a conversation, Y/n didn't want to reply with an obvious, I can already see that; for it is the same as calling Meng Yao not smart?

There was some tension between them, the reason? Unknown. Nothing terrible had happened between them earlier, or anytime in general.

The time we spend together is not the same as usual, yeah. It's probably that. He thought.

Thank heavens for deciding to send a savior in time; Nie Mingjue approached them both.

"Sect Leader Nie." both greeted. Nie Mingjue greeted in return and was about to speak before he was interrupted by the loud wail of a child.

Y/n's could almost imagine himself going deaf after having to listen to a child cry for a while. What exactly is a child doing in the middle of a battlefield? He certainly doesn't remember anyone with a stomach bump or even bringing children with them.

His face kept that stern look he usually carried around while he fixed his gaze on a disciple who stopped in front of Nie Mingjue, a child in arms enveloped in a blanket, looking very uncomfortable—for both the child and the soldier.

"Sect Leader," The disciple began.

"We found an infant in a horse stable near the battlefield."

"Infant?" Nie Mingjue questioned, voice sounding slightly irritated from the sudden interruption.

Y/n kept a steady gaze and turned towards the disciple. "Probably abandoned by his parents who were escaping the war; let me hold him." He said, noticing how uncomfortable the disciple appeared to be.

As the child was passed into his arms, he took in the smallest of details. He knew it would be unsanitary to open the child's mouth to check for teeth in hopes of finding out his age; therefore, he avoided touching the child's face— he doesn't know how these types of things work, but he assumed the child must be around a year old perhaps?

The more he stared at the child and tried calming him down by bouncing him gently, he certainly couldn't fail to notice the child stopping his cries and looking at him with the curious eyes of a child.

His thoughts were soon interrupted by Meng Yao talking to the disciple, "Put the infant to bed inside. I will make the arrangements later; maybe we can find his parents."

The disciple pursed his lips, "I am afraid that is not possible. We also found this note next to the child," he said before taking out a small piece of paper which he had inside a pocket of his robes and handed it over to Meng Yao wearily.

Meng Yao read through the letter silently before speaking up in what could be considered summarizing the letter's contents.

"His parents will not come back."

━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━
I hope 2021 treats you well! Thank you for reading! <3
━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━