Lan Xichen (16)

Nie Mingjue threw a questioning glance at Xichen, "Anyway, you never told me after Cloud recesses were burnt, where on earth did you go, and who saved you?"

A faint smile stretched on Lan Xichen's lips, "Sure enough, Mingjue is thoughtful."

Nie Mingjue, "So the map painter and your rescuer are the same person?"

-

Taken place quite a bit after Lan Xichen fled the burning Cloud Recesses. Past memory of Lan Xichen.

Lan Xichen was thankful that although infamous, the young cultivator known as Y/n L/n had helped him in the time of most need after the Cloud Recesses were put up in flames by the Wen Sect.

He's never actually held or even approached him for a proper conversation before, other than a quick greeting.

But now, regarding the current situation he was in, things were different.

Lan Xichen sat behind a low table, gently dipping his brush into the prepared black ink, coating it the slightest before putting it against rice paper.

"Brother Xichen." Y/n leaned over Lan Xichen's shoulder, curiously taking a peek at the words Xichen wrote on paper. "Eating more than three bowls is prohibited? Boring."

A half-smile made its way to Lan Xichen's lips, and Y/n read out loud as Xichen continued to write, "Do not smile? Isn't that a bit too...Ah. If you don't mind me asking, what are these for?"

Lan Xichen hummed, the brush not leaving the paper. "I don't mind Young Master L/n asking me what he wishes to know, and It is only right, I answer. I am thankful for your hospitality."

"As for what I am writing, these are the Gusu Lan Sect rules every disciple must learn and follow rightfully."

Y/n kneeled to Lan Xichen's side, and he propped up his right elbow on the table before resting his chin on the palm of his hand. He admiringly stared at the other, with a playful smile on his lips.

"But, pardon me for saying this; Rules are sometimes made to be broken." He reached out with his left hand and took one of the empty papers with nothing written on them, and he also took the thin spare brush Xichen had to his side.

Lan Xichen raised his head up and barely tilted his head to the side in slight confusion as he met gaze with Y/n, "Not everyone follows rules they are given, but; why do you think so?"

Y/n raised the brush and put it to his lips, bringing the tip to a fine point. A bit of the black ink leftover from not yet cleaning throughout smeared the middle of his lips, but he paid no mind to it as he began to paint what he had in mind.

"If everyone travels within the bounds of given rules, no horizons will be expanded. But rules aren't necessarily supposed to be broken; we can challenge them with no harm."

Lan Xichen nodded, returning back to writing down the rules by memory. "Rules are made to keep us on the safer side."

Y/n, "Mn-hm, Do not indulge in debau—oh." He stopped half sentence and coughed, waving his hand.

"The Lan sect is really...has so much restraint."