Y/n (12)

Following the next few weeks during the sunshot campaign, Lan Xichen had promised to take the child to Gusu in return for Y/n's and Meng Yao's hospitality when he was most in need

This wasn't an easy parting for the child and Y/n, who had grown fond of him over such a short time.

He didn't like children at; first, he despised the thought of having to take care of a little one. He could only think of the mess children make, waking up at night, and many things he didn't want to mention.

He never saw himself as a father or even a parental figure.

When he was set to marry a woman back in Spirit fox fairy mountain, he called it off out of fright.

Although the sudden news disappointed those around him, especially his soon-to-be wife, Y/n continued with his life. He left the mountain to visit various clans; Becoming a worthy guest disciple before deciding that he would instead become a rogue and help anyone in need.

Y/n thanked Zewu-Jun for his help before wishing him luck once again.

A few days later, Y/n had decided that he wanted to see how Meng Yao was doing in Langya in concern for him.

He approached Chifeng-zun, who sat behind his desk with intricate designs seen all over Qinghe, but Nie Mingjue wasn't too happy. His new deputy by his side waited for Chifeng-zun's response.

"Useless!" Nie Mingjue hit his fist against his table, and some of the papers the deputy had given him fell to the ground. One landing just by Y/n's feet.

Nie Mingjue angrily scolded his newly appointed deputy. "How are you a deputy when you can't even manage such a trifling manner!"

His deputy stared at Nie Mingjue in fright, "The fault lies with me for not exerting my very best. Sect leader, please punish me!"

"Get Out!" Chifeng-zun shouted.

"Yes, sir!" His deputy scurried away rapidly, accidentally bumping Y/n's shoulder as he walked past him.

"Y/n,"

Y/n bowed respectfully to Nie Mingjue, "Sect Leader Nie,"

Nie Mingjue stood up from his seat, walking to stand in front of Y/n. "Your visit today is unexpected. What brings you here."

"Sect Leader Nie," Y/n paused for a moment before continuing. "I haven't heard of Meng Yao since he set off to Langya,"

Nie Mingjue's brow raised slightly, "Considering how close you two are, I expected a few letters to be shared between you two already."

Y/n chuckled softly at Chifeng-zun's words. "I accept the fact that Meng Yao is occupied most of the time, so he maybe hasn't had the time to communicate."

The truth is, Meng Yao did send him a couple of letters. But apparently, things weren't looking so well.

Y/n, "I ask of Sect Leader Nie's approval, I would like to set off to Langya and help out Lanling Jin sect for a while. If that doesn't take away from Sect Leader Nie's army, of course."

Nie Mingjue seemed to be in thought for a moment before deciding to give his reply, "Mn. Be wary; the fighting in Langya hasn't settled down completely yet."

Y/n nodded before squatting down to pick up the paper that had flown away from Chifeng-zun's desk earlier. He looked at Nie Mingjue before handing it over to him. "Many Thanks, Sect Leader Nie."

Upon arriving at Langya, Y/n greeted the higher-ups before asking, "Meng Yao, where is he?" he held one of Meng Yao's letters in his hand.

"That Meng Yao? he must be somewhere, cleaning the horse excrements perhaps." they laughed.

Ignoring the unapproving glares at the mention of Meng Yao, Y/n smiled as fakely as he ever could and bowed in gratitude. "Thank you."

He walked around, searching for Meng Yao himself if no one would bother telling him. Who cares if he came from an indecent background, that's not his fault.

A sigh escaped his lips, and he halted his steps once he saw Meng Yao with someone who could be a commander.

After the commander left, Y/n walked up towards Meng Yao before dragging him to an empty out of view spot.

"What are you thinking! Doing that could get you killed!" Y/n scolded and demonstrated Meng Yao's handwritten letter, Incase If he was confused about what he meant.

Meng Yao didn't even look at the letter before reaching out his hand to lower Y/n's arm. "Sect Leader Jin doesn't even spare a glance my way. Madam Jin, my presence only irks her, Y/n-"

Y/n shook his head. "No. Meng Yao, do you not understand aside from getting yourself in danger; If Sect Leader Nie finds out about this, you understand his personality better than most."

"I do. I know what I am doing." Meng Yao reassured.

Y/n grabbed Meng Yao by the collar of his robes and caught even himself by surprise. "You're taking a considerable risk, you can't-" his eyebrows furrowed the slightest, and a frown became evident on his lips.

Meng Yao, "My mother always seems to be a topic starter. The commander has done many unforgivable things as well."

Y/n closed his eyes before letting go of Meng Yao's collar. "I know."

"Then, if you know, you understand what must be done." Came Meng Yao's reply.

Yn sighed, "s that it? Is that the only way to properly get things done here?"

"..."

"A-Yao," he reached out his hand but quickly retracted, unsure of what to do. "Why don't I help you come out with something else you can do instead?"

With a solemn expression, Meng Yao bowed politely to him. "That won't be necessary. I thank you for everything you've done for me In advance."

Y/n sharply turned on his heel, not wanting to talk any further, yet said. "Whatever it is that you choose to do, know that there will be consequences."

Meng Yao didn't move from his bow, "I am willing to accept them."

Y/n, "I might never see you again."

---

I hope you're doing okay, dear reader! <3