Nie Mingjue (9)

Nie Mingjue trained his men to be worthy of fighting a strong opponent

     Nie Mingjue trained his men to be worthy of fighting a strong opponent. He stood in front of them all while they swung their swords in orderly directions, seemingly to know the steps by memory.

Meng Yao stood near his side, but not too close, simply just standing by his side, waiting for a simple command. Nie Mingjue didn't ask anything from him, not right now since there wasn't much to do other than prepare for upcoming wars.

That was until his gaze fell upon two figures descending from their spiritual swords.

He was surprised Lan Xichen had paid a visit today. As for Y/n, wasn't he supposed to return without a child by now?

Y/n promised to find the parents' whereabouts, yet he still came back with the child.

"Sect leader Nie." Meng Yao said, after turning to face him.

"Hm?"

"Would you like to welcome them inside?"

Nie Mingjue stared at Lan Xichen, and Y/n approach him before giving a stern nod. "Go ahead."

And with that, Chifeng-Zun; Nie Mingjue waited until Lan Xichen alongside Y/n approached him.

Y/n seemed uncomfortable in Nie Mingjue's eyes, as a panicked expression formed itself on Y/n's face. "Sect Leader Nie, I will explain. But right now I need to go; it's urgent." was said while he politely bowed to Nie Mingjue.

Nie Mingjue let him go, no words exchanged.

"Mingjue-Xiong."

"Xichen?"

"My letter must not have arrived in time,"

"That is quite alright; tell me the details once I properly welcome you in."

As Lan Xichen followed Nie Mingjue inside to a spacious, brightly lit hall, the silence between them was short-lived once both of them sat down across from each other on a table. A few other cultivators also sat within the hall.

Meng Yao walked over, placing teacups one for each on tables—not only Nie Mingjue's but offered teacups to the other cultivators inside as well.

And when Meng Yao had served them both tea, Lan Xichen accepted the cup and looked up at him with a gentle smile, "Thank You."

Lan Xichen drank a sip of the tea immediately afterward.

Nie MIngjue had never been one for humor, however in front of Lan Xichen, his expression eased. "How long is your stay?"

"Brother MIngjue, I will have to stay at your place for the night. I am departing on the next morning. Then meeting with Wangji."

Nie Mingjue, "Where to?"

Lan Xichen, "To Jiangling."

A frown came onto Nie Mingjue's lips. "Isn't Jiangling still in the hands of the Wen-dogs?"

Lan Xichen gave the faintest shake of his head. "Not since a few days ago. Currently, it is in the hands of the Yungmeng Jiang sect."

Their conversation was interrupted by a sect leader who, with a loud voice, spoke. "Sect leader Nie, I don't think you've heard yet. Yunmeng's Sect Leader Jiang is quite powerful in the area."

Another person added, "How can he not be? Wei Wuxian alone can face millions, so who'd he be scared of? He can just sit there controlling his area, unlike how we're always running for our lives. With such luck..."

"Well, good thing that Zewu-Jun and Hanguang-Jun are helping everyone. Or else, I don't know how many sects and innocent commoners would fall into the hands of the Wen dogs." Someone else said.

Nie Mingjue had yet to take a sip of his tea before asking Lan Xichen, "Your brother's over there?"

Lan Xichen nodded. "He took the people over during the beginning of the month."

Nie Mingjue, "Your brother's level of cultivation is quite high. He should be enough by himself. Then, why are you still going?"

Lan Xichen sighed. "It is quite embarrassing, but after Wangji went, It seems that he had some small conflicts with the Yunmeng Jiang Sect's; Young Master Wei."

Nie Mingjue, "What happened?"

This time again, someone else rather than Lan Xichen spoke.

"I think Hanguang-Jun only had a dispute with Wei Wuxian because his methods were too unnatural. They say that Hanguang-Jun denounced Wei Wuxian to his face, how he disgraced the corpses, how he's cruel and loves to kill, how he forgot about his original intentions, and so on. But over there, everyone's talking about the battle of Jiangling. Wei Wuxian is described in such an incredible way, I'd love to see it for myself if luck allows it."

"From my opinion," someone else began. "Hanguang-Jun really doesn't have to do this. Even the living are close to being dead, so why should we care about these corpses?"

Y/n walked in on time and said a bit of his opinion out loud too. Or perhaps he was already there, standing by Meng Yao's side once again, his arms crossed over his chest.

"Yes. We're in harsh times, right? Sect leader Jiang is right. In terms of evil or not, who's more evil than the Wen dogs."