Vol 1 - 5 Setting Out

A Few Weeks Later...

"Happy Birthday, Alex!" Both of my parents yelled as confetti slowly floated down onto us.

"Thank you!" I tried to say in my cutest four year old voice.

"Here, come get a piece of cake." Sophia said as she sliced the cake, taking out a decent sized piece for a four year old (which is probably small for a normal adult).

All of us enjoyed the cake and even chatted about random stuff. "Now it's present time!" James said in excitement.

"You sound like you're the one whos getting all the presents." Sophia joked.

"I'm just excited to see Alex's reaction, that's all." He laughed while taking out the boxes of presents. In my old world I never had the time to celebrate anything, one including birthdays so I never have gotten a present before. I tried to hold in my tears but they came streaming down my checks.

"What's wrong, honey?" Sophia asked, concern written all over her face as she grabbed me and sat me on her lap. I quickly whipped my tears away, "sniff, it's nothing; I'm just really happy for this."

"Well, that's what family is right?" She smiled warmly, I nodded and smiled back.

'Family, huh... That's right, I have a real family this time. I need to grow stronger and protect them even if that means that I have to come out of the shadows and into the public eye.' This time around I won't be making the same mistakes as before so I can fill my desires once and for all.

"Come one, Alex. Here's your presents, hope you like them." James put the boxes on the table and I began to open them. There was a katana with symbols carved on it, 2 pairs of daggers.

"I got that for you, just in-case you're in danger you have real weapons to protect yourself." My father said seriously. I nodded, I knew that there would be danger ahead of me, life isn't all peaceful.

"Know, open my presents." Sophia said cheerfully, breaking the tensed up atmosphere. I opened the other two boxes, one box had a black t-shirt, a light and comfy jacket but warm enough for me, a black combat pants, and lastly a black cape.

"These clothes are from your travels, they are light, sturdy, comfortable, and warm for you to wear." She explained.

I opened the other box and inside was a necklace with different gems on it, a puch, and a ring.

"The necklace will activate when you're in danger by healing some small wounds and giving you some mana, the pouch is a dimension pouch, it's about 40 meters wide and 40 meters tall, of course you can also put food in it, the food will most likely last about 2 weeks. And lastly, the ring, you can pour a little bit of your mana into it and when you talk to it, it will send your message to me through that ring to this ring." She held up her right hand in which she wore the ring in her pointer finger.

I soaked in all the information in my head and put everything in a pile, I looked up at them and grinned, "Thank you, again. I really like all these gifts."

----

2 weeks later...

"Alex! Are you ready?" Sophia yelled from outside the room while knocking on the door.

"I'm almost done!" I yelled back as I fixed the strap on my waist that was holding my sword and daggers.

Rushing out the door, I quickly ran outside to where my parents were.

"The carriage is here, Alex." My father said, grinning at me with pride.

"I'll see you in...uh..." To be honest, I didn't know when I was going to come back, it was truly embarrassing.

"Sigh, we don't even know when you're coming back... But I don't care, as long as you come back alive and intact." She smiled at my knowingly. I nodded back and headed into the carriage.

"Good-bye!" I said as the carriage trotted off to its destination.

"Good-bye!" Both of them yelled as they waved their hands in the air.