Chapter 24

When we arrived at Hateno village I could not have been more excited. I was very much looking forward to meeting Link’s family. Though part of me was a little nervous because of how silent Link had been throughout the entire trip there. We stayed at The Great Ton Pu Inn for the night. When I woke up I went to Link's room. He was up and ready to go which surprised me a bit.

    I could tell something was wrong so I asked,

    “Link, are you okay? You seem to be really quiet. More than usual.”

    “I’m fine.” He responded with no emotion.

    “Are you sure?” He nodded but that didn’t convince me.

We began to head to his house which was at the front of the city tucked into the mountain. As we got closer I could tell Link was nervous. I didn’t want to bother him again. I could tell he didn’t want to talk about it either so I stayed silent. We walked across the bridge to get to his family’s small little cottage. It was a pale beige with a red roof and a tall slightly crooked chimney.

    I turned to Link to make sure he was still okay going through with the plan but he started to march towards the house before I could ask. He knocked on the door as I ran up to his side. The door opened to reveal an older man.

    “Link?! What are you doing here?” The man asked,

    “I came to see my family.”

    “Have you done what’s- Oh Princess I didn’t see you there.” The man bowed. “I’m Link’s Uncle, Alfon.”
     “Oh, nice to meet you Sir Alfon,” I responded.

    “Um, I hate to say ask this of you princess but could you allow Link and I to talk alone for a moment.”

    “Yes of course.” I smiled, as Link went inside the house. I walked around spotting that the house had a small stable and shack on the right side of the house. In the back corner were a pond and apple tree. The area around the house was huge and had grass all around. It was so peaceful and quiet. I walked back to the front of the house just in time to see Alfon swing open the door.

    “Now go back. You have a duty to fulfill.” And Alfon slammed the door harshly. I stood there and didn’t say a word. Link was silent as well. His blank stare had a hint of sadness. I eventually got the courage to speak,

    “Link what-”

    “Let’s get home, princess.” And he began to walk away from the town without another word. I followed him for a while. It was not until we reached past the Dueling Peaks I mentally slapped myself. Why was I scared to talk to Link? Link and I understood each other well. I knew he wanted to talk but he didn’t want to burden me. I quickly ran up to Link and grabbed his hand. He froze,

    “Link. I want to help you. But if you don’t talk to me I can’t help you.” He turned to face me.

    “I-” Just then thunder erupted from the sky. “It’s going to rain.” Link said as he looked up into the sky. Dark clouds were starting to form covering the sun. “We won’t make it to the castle in enough time.” Link took hold of my hand that was already holding his and began to run down south by the Hylia River. We followed it down to a big tree. There were some large flat pieces of stones stacked around two small little person statues made for offerings.

    My breath was taken away by the beauty of this area. You could see the Bridge of Hylia and the Grinnden Plains in the distance. Without a second thought, I pulled out the Sheikah Slate and took a picture.

    “This is gorgeous.” I looked at Link. I could feel his mood seem to lighten just a bit from my words. I suddenly felt a raindrop hit my cheek. Link and I looked up to see the sky a very dark grey now. We quickly took shelter under the tree. The rain seemed to pour as if someone was pouring a bucket over the world.