Chapter 34

“Are you awake now?” I heard an anxious voice ask. I slowly opened my eyes. The room I was in seemed very bright and it took my eyes a second to get adjusted. I gently turned my head to the voice and tried to get my eyes to focus on Impa who was sitting next to me.

    “Is Link okay?” I asked. Impa paused for a moment before speaking.

    “Purah, Robbie, and some of the Sheikah went to take Link to the Shrine of Resurrection as soon as you asked them to. I believe they will be returning today.” I sighed with relief.
“How long have I been asleep?” I asked,

“About a day,” Impa said,

As I laid there I began to wake up my muscles. I eventually sat up and saw what a mess I was. I had many cuts and bruises on my legs and arms. They seemed to have been tended to while I was asleep. My dress tho had dirt and mud stains and was tattered at the bottom.

    “Father would be appalled if he saw me like this.” I scoffed,

    “Do you know where he is? In fact, what happened after Ganon awoke? We thought you had all died." Impa said solemnly. I realized that was why everyone had been so surprised to see me when I ran into the village last night.

    “Hyrule Field is destroyed. Many villages and homes were burned. Link and I got to the Castle the second night from when the Calamity awoke. We were waiting for the Champions to signal us but none did. Daruk tried but the Divine Beast seemed to have been taken control over by Ganon. I believe he sent a monster or some sort of poison to the Champions and… it killed them… All of them.” My breath hitched as I could feel my heart ache with sadness.

    “Soon after Link found my Father’s crown. I was angry and so scared so we went in to fight Ganon. Ganon is a monster completely made of his own evil malice. Link weakened him, but I couldn’t use my power yet. We ran away barely making it through the castle. We hoped the Champions were actually alive and came back to Kakariko Village… Again, we were confronted with hundreds of Guardians. We made it to the bridge when Link left to help Fort Hateno. I came here to get help because I knew he would fight until he died.” I began to cry. “I knew he would exhaust himself for me, for others. I knew I couldn’t use my power but I needed to help. And I was able to.”

    “How did you use your power?” Impa asked as I wiped my tears,

    “It’s quite silly actually. I had the answer all along but I had hidden it away.” I sighed “It was my love for myself and my love for others that awoke my power. I had been trying to use my power for my Father’s approval, for his love. But that’s not real love and I thought if I didn’t have my power it meant I was worthless.”

    “Princess…” Impa said with shock.

    “I didn’t want to tell anyone I felt this way, not even Urbosa because my time with her was always supposed to be light-hearted. A break from my world. Link helped me realize I needed to love myself and was the only person who got out my deep feelings.”

    “Princess, I’m so sorry you felt so burdened as a child.”

    “Thank you. That means a lot. We all have our own struggles that can weigh us down the same. It’s always nice to have someone empathize with you.” I smiled,

    Impa and I talked a bit more before she realized that I might need food. I hadn’t realized I was hungry until she mentioned food. Impa helped me out of bed and took me out of the room though we didn’t get very far before Kol stopped us. He stood there with a look of worry on his face.

    “Can I talk to you?” Kol said staring at me,

    “Yes,” I said. I looked at Impa as she nodded and went down the stairs. It was silent before Kol spoke.