Chapter 5

Xavier's POV

"Alex, cancel my meetings this afternoon. I have to make a trip to the hospital." I informed my secretary through the phone. Dad had been feeling unwell these few days and he even fainted that day so mum and I decided to bring him to the hospital to do a thorough check up so that we would be rest assured. 

When I reached the hospital, I was quite shocked to meet that woman in the lift. Our eyes met when she lifted her head up to see who entered the lift. She pointed her fingers at me when she saw me and I could see she was pretty shocked at my appearance too. I just stared at her and wonder how did I get so lucky to meet her here again before turning away from her. 

My phone started ringing and I could see her jumped a little from the corner of my eyes which made me wanted to laugh so badly but I held it in. I answered the phone and my mum told me that they managed to get a personal ward in the hospital and dad just came back from his check up. After knowing about the current situation, I hung up the phone and the woman started shooting me questions after questions, asking whether my dad was all right. 

To be honest, it was pretty shocking at how the woman is so concerned about my dad but once again, maybe she knew that our family was rich so she wanted to curry favours by being nice to my dad. But she doesn't look like that type, my inner voice told me. Tsk. 

I sighed before answering her never-ending questions and she finally settles down quietly and followed behind me to my dad's ward. I reached the room 501 and knocked before entering. I could see mum's confused face when she saw the woman behind me and dad's surprised face so I started sort of introducing them if that even counts as an introduction.

"Hey dad, hey mum. Uh, this girl here wants to visit dad because we have met on the lift and she just happened to find out about your hospitalisation." the woman then stepped in front of me a little to get a better view of my parents and bowed to them, by which she then started introducing herself. Oh, so her name is Hailey. 

From what I could see, mum and dad were secretly eyeing at each other, meaning they were up to something no good. Mum ushered Hailey to take a seat beside her and I could see how she tensed up because she started fidgeting with her fingers. Dad broke the silence by saying, "Right Hailey, I didn't get to introduce the both of you properly the last time so I should do so now. This is my son, Xavier Anderson, he is 27 this year and he still couldn't find a girlfriend and settle down. Sigh.... when will I ever get to see the day that he will find the love of his life and start a family of his own?" I literally just facepalmed myself mentally because there he goes again, playing the pitiful old man card. Sighing, I muttered under my breath, "There he goes again grabbing every opportunity to set me up on some random blind dates with girls  I don't even like. And why the hell is he revealing my private life to some random woman he met? Gosh I can't even understand him." 

To be honest, what Hailey said after that kind of shocked me a little. "Uh... I don't have anyone in mind but I just think that this is not the right time for me to be in a relationship." yep, that's what she said. I mean she's pretty but  just too rough so why wouldn't she want to be in a relationship? I was brought back to reality after hearing the endless shooting of questions from my parents and I saw how nervous she got because she was practically stammering throughout her sentences, guess she doesn't know how to answer them anymore. 

I interrupted their conversation, "Dad, I still have some work to do back in the company so I shall be leaving now. I will visit you again later at night." they all looked up at me and I could see how Hailey heaved a sigh of relief when she no longer had to come up with endless explanations to answer my parents. Upon this, she quickly took her leave and dashed for the door which almost made me burst out laughing. 

.

.

.

.

I glanced at my watch, it was almost three in the afternoon and I didn't even realise that I still haven't had lunch so I have decided to go to a nearby cafe to grab some food. As the cafe was just around the corner, I took a quick 10 minutes walk instead of driving my car there because it's too much work. As I entered the cafe, the aroma of toasts and coffee filled up my nostrils and I could finally feel how hungry I was. I walked towards to counter to place my counter and was greeted by a person that I was shocked to see. 

"Welcome to- wait what? It's you?" Hailey asked in shock when she saw me standing right in front of her. I thought she works at the bookstore? How come now she's here? 

"Yeah it's me. Are you going to take my orders or not? Because I'm hungry and I have no time." I gave her a blank face and honestly, I sound like such a bastard now but cannot be helped because I get grumpy when I'm hungry and this cafe smells too good which is not helping at all. I could see Hailey taking in a deep breath before muttering something about not punching someone right in the face. Wait, is she talking about me? Can't be right? 

"Welcome to the cafe, sir. What would you like to order?" Hailey asked before giving a small and fake smile. 

"I want a cheese and ham toast, with a cup of espresso and I'm having them here." 

"All right, that will be $9.45. Would you like to pay by cash or card?" 

I dug my hand into my pockets to get my wallet and I realised it wasn't inside. Oh fuck, I left it in the office. 

Hailey shot up her eyebrows in confusion when she saw that I stood there like a stone, not moving a bit. 

"Uh... is it possible if I cancel my order now? Because I have forgotten my wallet and my assistant is handling some important matters right now so he is not free at the moment." I have never felt so embarrassed in my whole life before and I just want to dig a hole in the ground and bury myself alive. 

Hailey didn't say anything but instead, she went to the back of the kitchen and soon came back with some cash in her hands. She looked at me and said, "Since the order is already taken down and is being prepared, I will pay for it. You can sit at the table near the windows and wait for you meal to be served." my mouth opened slightly when I heard her words. 

"Uh.. thanks for paying for my meal and I will pay you back later." she slightly nodded at me as she put the cash into the cash register. I headed to the table she said and settled down, trying to recover from the embarrassment I experienced just now. Thank God there weren't many customers in the cafe. I was looking at her from where I was sitting, she's cleaning up the tables after customers leave, working non-stop. 

Hailey Baxter, she's giving me feelings that I have never felt before and making me more and more curious about her. 

End of chapter 5!!! Sorry I didn't update yesterday because I was busy with some things because it was the release of results for school postings! and I was pretty happy with the results because I managed to get into the school of my choice

Just wanna ask, how do you guys study for school? Because I'm not really sure what is exactly the right way to study for exams and all that sort of things lol.