Chapter 29

Xavier's POV

Hailey was transferred to the ICU right after the surgery. The doctor in charge told me that the surgery went well but it would be all up to Hailey's will to wake up because the trauma to her head had taken a rather large impact to her head. I could only pray in silence. 

My parents rushed here the moment they heard the news and my mother broke down the moment she saw Hailey on the bed. My father took her out to calm down for a while and during this moment, Caleb came into the room. He pat me on the shoulders and assured me that everything will be all right and she would wake up soon. 

It's been a week since the accident happened and Hailey didn't show any signs of improvement. I have moved all my work to the hospital because I didn't want to leave her side even for a second. The nurse told me to massage her limbs at least once a day such that her muscles would not be slacken. It became a daily routine for me to tell her about how my day went but all I got in return was silence. My parents visited everyday to check up on the both of us but I told them to not to do so because it takes them a long journey to travel back and forth. 

I told Alex to bring me fresh set of clothes everyday such that I will be able to change and shower at the hospital. My back was aching by the end of this week because I had to settle on the small couch in the room. It was about 6pm in the evening and I set my eyes on Hailey's peaceful figure laying on the bed when I set my laptop aside. 

I walked towards the bed, picked up her hand gently and whispered, "Please Hailey, wake up. Just for me please, open your eyes." I closed my eyes as I rested my head on her hand when I heard the sudden beeping noise of the machine which was attached to her finger. My eyes shot up, the lines on the heart monitor appeared to be flat. No, no way. 

Doctors and nurses started rushing into the room with all sorts of apparatus, I was asked to stand aside as they were trying to save her. I tried to speak up but it seemed that my voice was stuck in my throat. The doctor spoke as he picked up the defibrillator, "300 joules please, we are losing her pulse now." He placed the defibrillator down on her chest and there was still no response. My heart was thumping hard against my chest now. Please come back to me. 

The doctor tried one last time and finally, the heart monitor had several lines appearing again. I let out a sigh of relief upon seeing it as though I had been holding onto my breath this whole time. As the medical team was packing up, I approached the doctor and asked, "Why is she like that now? Does this mean that she's going to wake up soon?" 

The doctor shook his head, "I'm sorry but no, this is a common symptom when the patient went through a head surgery. But you can communicate with the patient often because the patient will be able to hear whatever was going on in her surroundings." I admitted that I was dejected upon hearing it but I wasn't going to give up on any hopes that Hailey will wake up soon. I have faith in her and she's a fighter. I just know it. 

2 weeks have passed now and I am missing her so badly. Her laughter, her voice, her smile and everything. How I wished I could hold her in my arms right now, sitting on the couch, laughing at whatever is showing on the television. Instead of looking at her laying on the bed lifelessly, we could have been enjoying our married lives right now. 

I was massaging her legs when I suddenly saw a slight twitch of her fingers. I rubbed my eyes, am I hallucinating right now? I stared at her fingers again when they moved once again, and I could feel my lips curving up into a smile now. I immediately pressed the button to call for the doctor. When the doctor arrived, he checked Hailey for any signs of response while he flashed his torchlight in her eyes. 

After the checkup, he explained to me that it could be a reflex action that was signalled from her brain. I thanked the doctor and returned back to the side of her bed with a sigh. Please wake up for me, Hailey. 

The next morning...

I woke up early this morning as I had an important meeting so I left Hailey's room as I was afraid that i might disturb her rest as much as I wanted to wake her up. The meeting lasted for about an hour and I was so tired after the meeting that I decided that I shall take a small nap upon heading back to the room. As I opened the door, my eyes widened at the sight. 

Hailey was awake. 

End of chapter 29!! sorry I haven't been updating much these days because I haven't been accessing through my laptop and I really hated typing on my phone because it will always not save my work :(( 

so please bear with my inconsistent update of the book <3