Chapter 18

Hailey's POV

I reached home at around 5pm, right after my shift ended at the cafe. Just nice the book store was not open today because the owner had something important to do. When I reached home, there was someone standing at the door so I went up to the person. He then passed me a big bag of things and said that Mr Anderson was the one who sent it. 

I took it and went back into the house. Opening the bag, I took out the big box in it and found a light blue dress and a pair of 2 inch tall pink heels inside. They looked so beautiful, I bet it costs a few thousands to get these. My phone then vibrated and it was from Xavier. It wrote, "Hope you like the dress and heels that I've got you. Wear them tonight." Just by a simple message he could  make me keep smiling like a fool. 

I quickly went back to my room to get ready for the dinner. I took a quick shower and then put on some light make up, which I then proceeded to style my hair with a hair curler. Picking up the dress, I changed into it and wore the heels. I looked into the mirror, I had to say but I looked really beautiful in it. Xavier is really good at choosing dresses. Scared that I would be late, I glanced at the clock on the desk and it showed that it was about 6.30pm. I then went to the living room to wait for Xavier's arrival. 

He arrived slightly earlier than the time we agreed on, and he showed up in a really handsome black suit. He looked at me for a moment before commenting, "You look really beautiful. Looks like Kelly has some good taste." I chuckled at his comment, so it's not him who have a good taste, but his assistant. I shall take back my words. I then responded with a slight smirk on my face, "You look rather beautiful tonight too, just that I look better I guess." we both then laughed at it before heading to the parking lot. 

It was about a 40 minutes drive and we reached the entrance of a fancy looking restaurant, where all the waiters and waitresses were dressed in uniforms. I'm so glad he sent me a dress because I'm sure I will look like an awkward potato in my ripped jeans and loose t shirt. We then took a seat after they confirmed his reservation. I picked up the menu and almost gasped out loud, each dish costs more than 6 months of my salary from both jobs oh my gosh. 

Worse of all, the menu was in French which I didn't understand a single bit. Xavier seemed to have noticed how I was looking around like a lost soul and he asked if I needed any help. I gave him an awkward smile before I told him that I didn't understand the menu which he gladly ordered something for me. A waiter who seemed to be in his early twenties came with a bottle of red wine in his hands, he was glancing at me when he reached out table to pour us our drinks which made me really uncomfortable. Xavier was seen with his clenched jaw and fist which he then shot at the waiter, "Watch where you are looking if you still want your job." The waiter looked shocked for a moment before running off after pouring our drinks. He didn't approach out table after that again and I was glad. 

I realised that we are having some awkward silence here so I decided to break the silence by asking Xavier if he wanted to play 20 questions since I wanted to know more about him. 

"I'll go first. Favourite colour? Mine's grey." I started off since I was the one who suggested the game. 

"Black. Favourite country?"

"Japan, I've been wanting to visit there ever since I was in high school but never got to do so hehe. What's your hobby? Mine is reading." 

"Gaming, but I haven't game in quite a while since the company is so busy." before he could continue, our food was served and we dined in. 

Just when we were eating halfway through, a voice reached me ears, "Xav, is that you?" I looked up to see a tall woman with long brown hair, she looked really familiar and I swear I've seen her somewhere before. I could visibly see Xavier tensed up upon seeing her and I wondered why. His smile faltered away and his jaw was clenching tightly again. What's with all the jaw clenching moments tonight?

"Sabrina, it's you." his voice sounded cold. Realisation then hit me hard in the head, she was the woman I saw in the picture. How could I forget her? I could feel my palms sweating while gripping the fork in my hand. I was trying to study Xavier's expression but it was hard to read. Sabrina then shot a glance at me before asking, "Oh sorry, I didn't know you were having dinner with someone else. Mind introducing me who is she?" I almost rolled my eyes at her words, like excuse me? There's a living person sitting right in front of her eyes and she pretended as if she didn't see me? What a joke. 

Xavier hesitated before answering the question and I was hoping that he could introduce me as his wife, as written on the papers. But all hopes in me had diminished when he coldly replied, "She's just a friend. What are you doing here?" I could feel my heart sink down to my stomach when I heard his reply. Just when I thought something might change between us in a good way, just when I thought there was at least something between us. But I was wrong. I was just a friend to him. 

She shamelessly took a seat beside him and replied, "I was here for dinner but I didn't expect to see you here. It's been so long, Xav." I eyed at her before excusing myself to the toilet, I couldn't take it anymore. I didn't realise that I was clenching my fists and holding my breath until I reached the toilet. 

I looked at myself in the mirror and told myself, "Don't be so silly Hailey Baxter, stop hoping for things that will never be yours and face the reality." I splashed some cold water onto my face before heading out with a sigh. 

It's gonna be a long, annoying and heartbreaking night. 

End of chapter 18!!! the appearance of another love rival? to be honest Xavier was being such a bastard lol even I was clenching my fist when I typed that and my sis thought that I was gonna smash the computer XD