Chapter 20

Hailey's POV

Just when I was about to step out of the washroom, my phone started ringing. I took a look at the caller ID, it was from the hospital. Picking up the call, a nurse started speaking, "Is this Miss Baxter? Your mother is currently in a critical situation so we are going to operate on her because her lungs aren't functioning well right now. We need you to come to the hospital as soon as possible." my phone slipped out of my hand right after the line was disconnected. 

I could feel my heart stopping as each second passed, no, I have to get to the hospital now. As I stepped out of the washroom, I could see Sabrina kissing Xavier on the lips but he wasn't doing anything to stop her. It felt as if another bucket of cold water was dumped onto my head. No, now is not the time to feel jealous, get a grip Hailey.

I grabbed my bag in a hurry, trying to run out of the restaurant to catch a cab but Xavier stopped me before I could do so. My mouth couldn't find the right words to say so I could only tell him that I have to get to the hospital which I was glad he didn't ask me anymore and led me towards his car. During the entire car ride, I could feel him staring at me whenever he stopped at each red light but I couldn't be bothered with those stares. I need to ensure that my mother was all right. She's my first priority. 

As soon as he parked the car outside of the entrance, I dashed out of the car, not caring whether he was shouting at me to be careful and wait for him. I headed straight to the lift and pressed level 5 repeatedly, hoping that the door would close faster. However, Xavier caught up with me and sprinted into the lift. Thankfully, he didn't ask any questions and remained silent. 

I ran to my mother's ward the moment the lift doors were opened. I could see that Dr Mitchell and 2 nurses were surrounding my mother. They all turned back to look at me panting hard outside the ward, before Dr Mitchell came up to me with a form and a pen, saying, "You have to sign the consent form now, we have to send your mother in for surgery right now if not there might be more complications during the surgery. But I would have to say that you should be mentally prepared that this is a high risked surgery, so anything may happen during the surgery." 

I took the form and the pen with my trembling hands, signed hastily on the papers, not caring whether they were neat or not. Trying to hold back my tears, I took one last look at my mother before whispering softly, "Mum, you will be fine. I'm waiting for you here." I let go of her hands before Dr Mitchell and the 2 nurses wheeled my mother into the operating theatre. I leaned back onto the wall, with my head in my hands then I felt a pair of strong hands engulfing me into a bear hug. 

"She will be fine, don't worry. I'm here with you." he whispered softly into my ears while I snuggled my face into his neck. It felt so warm and this was the first time I had someone beside me at times like this and for the first time, I didn't feel so helpless. I felt strong for the first time because he was with me. 

Xavier's POV

I've never seen her looking so helpless and weak like this, because most of the times she would put up a strong front and the cheerful side of her, which makes my heart ache for her. I didn't want to see her all depressed and upset like this. Then, everything started making sense to me. The 3 million dollars she had borrowed from me, the part time waitress at the restaurant, the 2 part time jobs she had for all these while. 

Only if I had figured out everything earlier, I would have been able to help her and her mother. But once again, given her character, she wouldn't have accepted my money. The only thing I could do right now is to embrace her and assure her that everything will be all right. I honestly feel so useless right now because money couldn't even help in times like this. And I hated the fact that she was trying so hard to put up a strong front at usual, to show me that she was all right when she wasn't. 

The surgery had been going on for about almost 2 hours, before the doctor from before came out from the operating room. He took off his mask and said, "I'm sorry, Hailey. Your mother didn't make it because her lungs had been infected even before we could start the operation. I'm sorry once again." Hailey didn't show any reaction at first, but after a while she broke down. 

"Why, why did you leave me too? Please, please don't leave me alone mum. There's still so many things we haven't done together, you can't just go like this. Mum..." she was sobbing uncontrollably in my arms and I had unknowingly shed tears too. I hugged her tightly, hoping that she would be okay. 

End of chapter 20!!! I was literally on the verge of tears while writing this in class and almost got judged like a madwoman. but this is the saddest thing I've ever written in my life I guess