Chapter 8

Xavier's POV

A day passed by and there was no response from Hailey. I was actually looking forward to her calling me and accepting my proposal but nothing had been heard from her which dampened my spirits. One more day to go and also, the last day. 

Hailey's POV

I have just ended work at the book store and was on my way home. I had been thinking about the offer for the whole day and after all the thinking made me felt so conflicted. Upon reaching home, I threw everything aside and headed to the bathroom for a hot and nice shower which soothed my aching muscles. However, all my worries came back the moment I stepped out of the shower. 

I pulled out the piece of name card from my bag and clutched my phone to my chest. I should accept it so that I will be able to get the money for mum's treatment and also to pay for all my overdue bills. After all, it is just a loveless marriage and it will end sooner or later, so no harm trying it out right?

After all the pondering, I finally mustered up my courage to dial the number shown on the name card. I took in a deep breath when I heard the line was connected and he picked up, "Hello, this is Xavier Anderson." after a second of awkward silence, I replied, "Hi there, I'm Hailey Baxter. I'm calling you with regards to the proposal you asked me yesterday." I could vaguely hear him taking in a sharp breath before talking, "Oh yes, Miss Baxter. So have you made up your mind already? Are you ready to give me an answer by tonight? Because if not you still have a day's time to think through about it." 

I fidgeted my fingers nervously, am I really ready to do this? Will I regret? I didn't want to think any further so I replied, "No, I'm able to give you an answer right now. I'm willing to take up your offer." there was a silence across the line, is he still there?

"Wait, are you serious? You agreed to my offer? If everything is ok for you, I will meet you at the cafe tomorrow morning to sign the contract and go through some terms and conditions." he sounded kind of excited? from what I have heard. 

"Uh, sure. You can come around 11am because that's the time when there are very few customers. Also, do I need to prepare anything?" 

"No, I will prepare the contract. See you tomorrow then. Goodbye." before I can even talk, he hang up the call. *inserts eye roll emoji* at least let me say something too. 

Next morning

Customers come and go like thunderbolt, and I finally got to rest after a busy morning. Business was especially good when it is located near big companies, where all the office workers would visit the cafe to grab their breakfast. But just that our four limbs are at risk of dropping out every morning, shrugs. The bell on the glass doors of the cafe chimed again, and I looked towards the door. Mr Grumpy Face came in walking with his sunglasses, looking all rich and handsome. Wouldn't it be better if there's some special effects added to the scene, like some bright lights and strong wind that would make his coat flutter with the wind? 

He saw me and gave me a slight nod, while signalling to me that he would be sitting at the same spot where we had our conversation previously. I took off my apron, and walked towards the table to where he was seated. The table had a light brown envelope on it, perhaps the contract I guess. I took a seat, and greeted him with a small smile. 

"This is the contract, you might want to read through it before signing them." I picked up the envelope and took out the items in it. I briefly flipped through the contract, not wanting to read all the tiny little words which gave me so much headache. 

"Aren't you going to read them properly? What if there are terms that are to your disadvantage?"

I almost let out a chuckle at his words, "I don't think I have any disadvantages in this contract and after all, you are a billionaire yourself, what could you be cheating me of?" he slightly turned his face away and muttered a "Right." 

Before signing the contract, I asked, "So this contract would only last for a year right?" 

"That's if nothing will happen, and if everything is fine, we might even end the contract earlier. Also, I just want to stress that I hope you will not have any feelings for me during or even after the contract. Because I don't want us to end the contract on a bad note, I mean at least we could be friends right?" I almost scoffed at his words, have feelings for him? I mean, yeah he's good looking and all that, but honestly, he thinks too highly of himself and I just want to punch some sense into his head. 

Not wanting to look like a nut case in front of him, I held in my laughter and nodded my head while I gripped the pen on the table and signed on the contract. He too, signed on the contract.

"Oh, and by the way, we will go register our marriage by tomorrow and I will announce the marriage to the public but don't worry, I will not reveal your personal information for now. However, we will need to hold our wedding before the end of this week and I will brief you on more details. And, my parents hoped to see and speak to you. So if you're free tonight, please visit them at the hospital." I almost gasped at what he said, what the hell? We had to do everything by the end of this week? Gosh, this shall be a hell week for me then. 

As usual, before I could even say anything, he left the cafe. I had the urge to grab a coffee cup and toss it at the back of his head so badly. Heaving out a deep sigh, I went back to working again. Time passed by fast in the blink of an eye and I had just ended my shift at the book store. I was on my way to the hospital since Mr Grumpy Face told me that his parents wanted to see me. Come to think of it, I should stop calling him Mr Grumpy Face because I will be dead if this slipped out of my mouth someday.

I took a bus to the hospital and managed to reach within 10 minutes since there were not many cars on the road right now. I searched for the room 501 and knocked before entering. When I entered the room, Mr and Mrs Anderson were laughing happily at the television which they were probably watching some comedy show before they noticed that I came in.  For a moment, I wondered if my parents would be like this too if only my mum wasn't sick and my dad didn't abandon us. 

Both of them welcomed me and Mrs Anderson kept on stuffing me with various fruits that could be found in the room that I nearly puked from the mixture of fruits in my mouth. Mr Anderson finally saved me from eating all the fruits in the room by saying, "We've heard from Xavier that you've agreed to his proposal and also both of you will be registering your marriage tomorrow." I didn't know what to say so I could only smile and nod my head. 

Mrs Anderson then grabbed my hand, "Hailey, you will soon be part of our family and we are so excited to gain a daughter! Having a son is so boring, especially when I go shopping, I can't even let him try on those beautiful clothes that I've picked out. But Xavier doesn't even accompany me to shopping anyways, I'm always so lonely shopping by myself because it's no fun at all." I could totally imagine his face if he ever goes shopping with his mum and the thought of it makes me want to laugh so badly. 

"Hailey, we know that Xavier is sometimes a bit blunt with his words, but trust me he's a good person just that he only shows it to the people he love and with that said, not many have seen that side of him. Many only see his bad side, which is him looking furious and strict all the time but we do hope that you will be able to put up with him and live happily together." they do know the fact that this is a contract based relationship right? So why do they sound as though I'm marrying him out of love? 

I would feel bad if I don't give them some form of assurance so I replied, "I'm sure I will be able to handle him in my own way and also that I too, can be pretty straight forward with my words at times so it will be fine. And also, thank you for being so friendly and loving towards me, it makes me feel as though I'm being loved by my parents." I almost choked up at the last part because it's been so long since someone had been so caring towards me besides my mother, and it felt so warm and loving. 

End of chapter 8!!! this chapter is slightly longer because I have decided not to write the part about how they went to register their marriage and the part on their wedding so that means that I will skip straight into the part after their marriage :)) 

Also, I've deleted the prologue because the behind part of the story may not match what I have written in the prologue therefore I deleted it, afraid that you guys may be confused throughout the story heheh 

What have you guys been doing during the covid period? 

I've been lazing around in the house for at least 3++ months and I would look up for recipe to bake at home but the end product looks so different from the ones in the recipe. :')))