22. ocean blue heart

quick PSA i changed my username to redgreys so yes it's still me if anyone was confused

"Tell me why you're going again?" Alex asked from where he lounged against her headboard, arms crossed over a pillow.

"To support Mark and to see Addison," Jade answered as she folded a pair of jeans into her suitcase. "You gonna miss me that much?" She teased.

He gave her a sarcastic smile, squinting his eyes as he threw the pillow he was hugging at her.

The throw was light and she caught it easily, tossing it to the side before flopping onto her bed, unpacked suitcase left abandoned at the foot of it. She wiggled her way closer to Alex, laying on her stomach but propped up on her elbows to look at him.

"Two days. Three tops," she promised, smiling up at him.

He didn't tilt his head down to look at her, only moving his eyes to glance down the bridge of his nose so he could see her.

She puckered her lips, asking for a kiss and that was what broke his facade, a small chuckle escaping him before leaning down to give in to her. Placing a few fingers under her chin that was tilted all the way up before giving her a small peck.

"I guess this way I could pick you up from the airport. That's like a relationship milestone right?" He asked in half seriousness.

"Definitely," she nodded, a small smile creeping onto her face.

She laughed before she could help herself as she got off the bed to finish her packing, Alex only helping by throwing the things she needed from the nightstand at her and making inappropriate jokes when she would bend over into her closet.

After Jade had zipped her suitcase and Alex had made his third joke of the night (finding himself very funny) she climbed into bed with him, her side already warmed up from where he sat and cuddled into his side as his arm wrapped securely around her and she knew, even just in that one specific moment, her life was perfect.

Jade had only been to L.A. twice in her life. In her junior year of college, she and a few friends went for spring break, it was a memory Jade thought of fondly on the short plane ride over. The second was only a few weeks after Addison had moved out there and she went to visit for a weekend.

It was exactly as Jade had remembered though, sticky air only disturbed by a cool ocean breeze every so often.

Mark and Sloan went straight to Addison's practice but Jade headed to her house first, pushing her suitcase into the guest room before immediately bounding back down the steps and across the living room, throwing the curtains that covered the patio door open.

A smile immediately spread across her face at the sight of the ocean and she pulled the door open, stepping through and sliding it closed behind her without taking her eyes off the vast amount of water.

Jade had a love-hate relationship with the beach. She hated the sand. It got everywhere; your mouth, your clothes, your hair, and it was hard to walk in. She also wasn't fond of the heat if she was completely honest which is why she loved Seattle's weather.

But she loved the water. The denim-colored sea that was so boundless she could easily get lost in it was part of the appeal to her, it made it more inviting than it did frightening.

One of the few memories she held of her mom was at the beach. With her busy schedule and their home being nowhere close to a beach they didn't go often and only one particular trip stood out to Jade. It was the middle of October and well into the evening so they were one of the only ones there. The sun was setting in strokes of purple and orange and her mom dragged her towards the water. It was freezing and Jade rushed to get out. But her mom stayed in, splashing around in the water in her jean shorts and sweater like a child. Jade watched for a few moments, shivering on the shoreline before joining her again. It was still cold but the way her mom was in the water made her believe it wasn't and soon Jade was laughing and splashing along with her.