33. november 17, 2011

"Dr. Bailey," Jade started after the short woman, balancing two charts and a medical journal in her arms as she struggled to keep up. "I have the charts for Mr. Doherty and-"

"We have bigger things to worry about than an appendectomy, Taylors," Bailey started, holding up a hand to silence her.

"Like bowel resections?" Jade asked lamely, trying to get to the second chart and make sure she had the right case load.

"Are your feet as quick as your wit?" Bailey glared at her. "Move 'em."

Jade followed as quickly as she could behind the surprisingly fast woman, but then again Jade was carrying extra weight and three now useless stacks of paper.

They twisted down hallways and staircases before Bailey finally turned to speak to her again.

"When I say this is a very important patient, I mean, she is very important to me," Bailey said. "I do not like it, but I have a very full schedule today, and you will have to be my proxy. No one touches this patient but you. You will run every test I ask for. You will report every result back to me personally. This woman has lost a husband an a son in this hospital," Bailey continued as they reached a door. "I will not have another O'Malley lost under this roof."

Jade had been listening intently but her lips parted when Bailey finished. "O'Malley?" She breathed. "George's mother is our V.I.P?" 

Bailey didn't need to answer the question, they were turning into a patient room and Mrs. O'Malley herself was smiling back at her from the hospital bed.

"Jade Taylors," she beamed, her voice soft. 

"As promised," Bailey said.

"It's been so long. Oh, you come over here and give me a hug," Mrs. O'Malley spoke, holding her arms out. 

Jade was hesitant but didn't show it, Mrs. O'Malley's smile was infectious and she couldn't help but smile back as she walked over.

Her arms were strong and warm, wrapping around Jade's shoulders securely. Jade hadn't felt the hug of a mother in a long time. 

Mrs. O'Malley gasped before they pulled away and when Jade stood up straight the woman didn't let go of her hands and her eyes were glowing as they stared at Jade's belly.

"You're pregnant," she said with warm, excited enthusiasm. "Oh, congratulations!" She exclaimed, squeezing Jade's hands.

"Thank you," Jade smiled genuinely down at her.

"Ok, we can fawn over Dr. Taylors' impending motherhood later," Bailey interrupted. "We're here to focus on you."

"Right," Jade agreed, slipping her hands out of Mrs. O'Malley's, glad for a distraction from the tears she knew would come and taking the chart Bailey was handing her. "It says here you had surgery three weeks ago at Seattle Pres for a gallbladder removal?"

"I've gone back there a couple of times and they always tell me I'm fine and send me back home," Mrs. O'Malley told her to which she nodded.

"Bring me a 20-gauge just in case, and benzoin," Bailey instructed a nurse. "And it's freezing in here have someone look at the thermostat."

"Yes, doctor."  

"I'm going to palpate your abdomen and you let me know if you feel any discomfort, okay?" Jade said.

"The boys insisted I get my surgery somewhere else," Mrs. O'Malley spoke as Jade worked. "After what happened here with Harold and... and Georgie," she finished sadly, her eyes solemn as she gasped when Jade pressed on a specific spot.