29. bombshell after bombshell

Jade had felt rooted to the spot when Webber told her what had happened. She was instructed to tell Mark, Webber thought the news would be taken easier if it came from her. As if anything could soften the blow she was about to deliver.

She held a mask loosely in front of her face as she pushed open the OR door with arms that felt weak.

"Mark, are you almost done here?" She asked, glancing around at the nurses littered in the OR.

"I'm good in two seconds. What's up?" He answered not looking up.

"I- um" she swallowed. "I'll wait."

"I rocked this mandibular repair. You'd never know this guy's jaw was broken in five places. I'm somewhat of an artist. Not Picasso, because then his jaw would be on his forehead," Mark continued talking, mumbling about artists and Jade was zoned out, preparing the words in her head.

She followed him into the scrub room when he'd finished, and she didn't even get her full sentence out before he was racing out of the room and down to the ER.

She was right behind him, running down staircases and skipping steps until she was sprinting down the hall outside the ER trying to catch up with him.

"What the hell happened?" She heard Mark shout outside the sliding ER doors where everyone else was gathered waiting on the tarmac as she grabbed a trauma gown and gloves.

"Car versus truck. That's all we know," Owen answered.

"And her injuries? What- the baby?" Mark asked frantically.

"We don't know yet," Derek answered.

Jade approached the group as Mark continued to yell, staying in the back next to Alex who tied her trauma gown as she slipped on the pair of gloves.

"Screw all of you," Mark shouted, holding his hand out for a trauma gown from a nurse as they tried to reason with him.

Jade shook her hands out, the worst case scenario running through her head as she took a deep breath.

They could hear the sirens of the ambulance growing closer and the tension was thick among the group of doctors.

"Hunt, you're in charge" Webber called out as the ambulance pulled up.

"All right, everyone, multiple blunt trauma protocol," Owen shouted as they all rushed forward and he opened up the ambulance doors.

Arizona stumbled out first, a nasty bleeding cut on her forehead and a cheap gray blanket wrapped around her shoulders. "Tachycardic and hypotensive en route. Obvious head and chest injuries," Arizona informed, bumping into Owens chest with a slightly glazed look in her eyes.

They lowered Callie on a gurney out of the ambulance and Jade gulped at the sight of her.

"Callie? Callie. We've got you, you hear me? Everything is gonna be okay," Owen spoke to her and Callie's blood shot eyes darted around all their faces.

"She's hemorrhaging."

Callie struggled against the confines holding her to the gurney as she mumbled something and blood gurgled in her mouth as they rushed her inside the building and into a trauma room.

As surgeons, they sometimes thrived in a chaotic ER. The rush of adrenaline pushing you, but Jade hated this rush. Everyone was talking and crowded against each other and Jade couldn't hear her own thoughts.

"Is there a fetal heartbeat?" Arizona asked from against the wall.

"Give me a minute," their O.B. Lucy insisted.