8. none of us are safe

Jade stood with her arms crossed against her chest, a bored look on her face as she stood among her fellow interns waiting for her turn in the triage exercise.

There was a weird vibe to the entire group that day. Jade and Alex weren't really talking and George was barely talking to any of them, mad at Izzie for not approving of his rushed marriage to Callie.

Jade barely listened to Bailey as she explained the importance of the drill, picking at a hangnail on her finger as she shifted her weight to one leg. Her interest was only piqued when the chief came in.

"We just received word of a mass casualty incident nearby. All available level 1 trauma centers have been asked to respond. I need to send a team into the field immediately," he spoke quickly and calmly.

"Thank god," Jade muttered, pushing her way to the front of the group, inappropriately eager.

She kept to herself as they packed emergency triage kits and followed Bailey out to the ambulance bay.

She rolled her neck out, squeezed in between Izzie and Meredith in the back of the rocky ambulance ride and ready for whatever they were driving into. This was exactly the kind of thing she needed.

The engine slowed and the brakes squeaked as they approached the site and they were quick to get up. She gratefully took George's extended hand as she stepped off the back of the ambulance.

They all immediately paused at the sight in front of them. Black smoke billowed off a burning ferry boat that crashed into the bay. Firefighters and EMT's swarmed the scene trying to put the fire out and help crash victims. Yelling voices and sirens were the soundtrack of chaos as Jade could barely hear Bailey order them to start helping.

Jade jogged off in one direction, while her friends jogged off in others.

She tried to help where she could. Assessing injuries and dressing wounds with what she had. There wasn't much she could do, most patients she got were either already dead or their injuries were too severe for her to do anything in the field. All she could was send them off in an ambulance and hoped they lived to see an O.R.

She huffed as she stood from her spot where she had declared yet another person dead. Her sixth since she'd arrived.

She was about to move on when she heard her name being called frantically from behind her.

"Dr. Taylors!" The girl shouted again, looking around. "Dr. Taylors!?" The girl shouted louder, trying to push her way through firemen and medical personnel.

"Yes? That's me," Jade quickly went over, placing a hand on the girls forearm. She appeared fine, a few bruises but nothing major.

"Thank god," the girl was already pulling on Jade's sleeve trying to get her to follow. "Dr. Stevens told me to find you. My friend needs your help. Please walk quicker," the girl begged, her voice desperate.

"Where is Dr. Stevens?" Jade asked quickly, trying to keep up with the practically sprinting girl.

"She's at the car pile up helping some guy," the girl shouted.

Jade didn't even realize there was a care pile up as she weaved in and out of all the people.

"Izzie," Jade called as she passed the blonde, who was surrounded by a few worried looking men.

"Jade, please help these girls. I'm trying to help him," Izzie spoke quickly, her voice on the verge of frantic.

Jade just nodded, looking down momentarily at the man trapped under the car and Izzies bloodied gloves.