7. helpless

Jade sat behind George on the bench of the locker room mournfully and she scolded herself for it. No one was dead there was no reason to be mournful. But she rubbed George's shoulder sympathetically anyway.

"Today is the day people. Today is the day," Meredith started cheerfully, joining them around the lockers. "Dark and twisty Meredith disappears forever and bright and shiny Meredith takes her place."

Jade winced at her bright tone, cleary inappropriate for the situation as she went on to talk about the blinding happiness she was going to exhibit from now on before she caught on to the energy in the room.

"What's going on?" She finally asked.

"Georges dad got admitted last night," Izzie informed.

"Oh my god. Is he okay?"

"Oh, no, he's fine," Geroge said quickly, turning to face her.

"He passed out. Hit the floor and fractured his clavicle," Jade added.

"Yeah, but his clavicles fine. Callie said it's gonna be fine," George said lowly.

They continued examining his labs. His clavicle was not what they were worried about, but instead his abdominal pain. They were interrupted before they could figure it out for themselves.

"Has anybody seen..." Bailey entered the room, trailing off when she spotted what she was looking for in George's hands.

"I was just looking at it," George explained before she snatched it back and Jade quickly stood from the bench, making her way back to her open locker.

"Taylors, Sloan requested you. Karev, go with her," Jade tuned back in when she heard her name and she grabbed her lab coat before slipping past her resident.

They found Mark at the first-floor nurse's station with two charts in front of him, he only glanced at them when they approached before looking back up quickly.

"Again?" Mark asked Alex, raising his eyebrows.

"Dr. Bailey's orders. So which one of these cases you need us on?" Alex spoke up.

"It's a really tragic one," Mark turned towards him, almost amused. "I found out this morning that I have over two weeks worth of dry cleaning that needs to be picked up. Stat," Mark held out a pink receipt.

"Sweet," Alex took it. "That's it?"

"I also need you to-"

"No," Jade interrupted indignantly, snatching the receipt out of Alex's hand. "We're not your assistants. This is a teaching hospital, you're going to teach both of us," she shoved the paper back into his hand.

Mark stared at her for a second before shoving a chart into her hands. "Fine."

"You don't need to do stuff like that," Alex muttered before they followed behind Mark.

"I think the words you're looking for are thank you," she muttered back, a tight-lipped smile on her face.

"How you doing, Mr. Jeffries?" Mark started loudly as they turned into his room.

"Oh, Franks doing okay," the patient sighed out. "He'd be doing a little better if the twins were even."

"Twins?" Alex asked confusedly.

"Frank's new pecs."

"Who's Frank?" Jade asked, glancing around the room.

"You're looking at him," Frank spoke before winking at her.

"Frank, these are interns. I'm supposed to be teaching them. Apparently, this is a teaching hospital," Mark informed, looking directly at Jade who smiled sweetly at him. "Karev?"