9. lone wolf

With she and Alex still not really talking Jade felt more excluded from the group of interns than she usually did, so she threw herself into her work.

She was first for rounds every day, was getting in on the best cases, and practically lived at the hospital.

Her squeaky sneakers made their way down the hallway as she took a sip from her averagely made coffee.

"How are you here so early again?" George asked dumbfounded, he and Izzie joining Jade as he fumbled putting his lab coat on.

"I stayed here last night," she shrugged slightly as the rest of the interns joined them.

Geroge hummed in acknowledgment and Izzie raised her eyebrows at her but Jade ignored them both. They followed a flabbergasted Cristina into the conference room where Burke was setting up cakes on the table.

"What are you doing?" Cristina asked, confusion laced in her tone

"The bakery wants me to make a decision by tomorrow," Burke answered. "So if you can tell me your favorite by then, that would be great," he spoke softly.

Jade poked a plastic fork into the mini chocolate cake George held in his hands and he playfully swatted it away with his own.

She was hardly paying attention to her friends, the only thing on her mind was asking Burke where he got these cakes from when Izzie spoke up.

"Cristina, are we coming to yours again tonight?" She asked, looking across the table to where Cristina stood next to George and Jade.

"For what?" Jade asked lightly and the room got strangely quiet, everyone giving each other a look and avoiding Jades eyes.

"To study for the intern exam," Meredith answered lowly after a few silent seconds.

"You guys have been studying without me?" She asked, a tinge of hurt in her voice.

She looked across the table at Alex and he was already looking at her but as soon as they made eye contact he looked back down and she shook her head, scoffing slightly.

She had been studying for the exam, of course she had. She figured everyone else was studying too. She just didn't think they'd all been studying together.

"So you just thought-"

"Taylors, quiet," Bailey barked at her and all their heads turned to face her. "Meredith, Cristina you're on scut today. Alex stay with Ava and Jade stay with Olivia Shields. George, Izzie, you're with me in the clinic," she dished out orders.

Jade left first, the rest of the interns lingering in the conference room and the high probability that they were talking about her made her jaw tick. 

She made her way up to Olivia's room and put a smile on her face for the young girl.

"Morning, Dr. Taylors," Olivia chirped from where she sat up in her hospital bed, watermelon jello and a plastic spoon in her hands.

"Good morning, Olivia," Jade greeted back, opening up her chart. "Jello for breakfast?" She asked, a small smirk on her face.

"You work here. You should know the food is crap. Especially the breakfast," Olivia chatted.

Jade smiled, peering up at her through her lashes from the end of the bed. "I'll give you that one."

Olivia smiled triumphantly at her, waving her spoon like a wand in the air at her.

"Well, everything here is looking good," Jade spoke, still reading before closing the chart with a satisfied smile. "You should be free to go in a day or two."