3. old money

Jade stood over a premie baby beside Addison. Staring down at the small, underweight baby, her heart broke a little before looking away and back down at her chart.

"Wheres the mother?" Derek asked, coming up behind them and Jade held the chart over her shoulder for him to take.

The two attendings hadn't exactly been getting along ever since Addison arrived in Seattle and Jade was praying they'd be civil just for this case, for the baby's sake and hers.

"Gone. She stuck around long enough to get the kid strung out, and then took off. Nice, huh?" Addison answered as Jade moved to the side of the baby's incubator.

"Addison..." Derek started, already sounding irritated. "You told me you had a newborn with an invasive mass. You failed to mention she's premature, underweight, and addicted to narcotics. There is no way that this baby is gonna survive spinal surgery" Derek stated with a sigh as he handed the chart back off to Jade and started to examine the baby.

"You don't know that," Addison argued.

Jade's eyes wandered around the room as they began to argue, a sound she wished she hadn't gotten used to hearing but it seemed its all they did.

"I'm gonna go check on the labs," Jade interrupted and they went quiet, glancing over at her and she raised her eyebrows annoyedly before rolling her eyes.

She made her way down the hall, smiling at passing nurses before she heard her name from behind her.

"Jade," George called loudly from down the hall as he jogged to catch up to her.

He fell into step with her looking a bit frazzled and quite tired. She couldn't blame him though, things were a bit hectic with Addison there and Meredith's mom, Ellis, showing up as a patient. Everyone was a tad on edge.

"What's up George?"

"What were you doing talking to Alex before?" He asked, fidgeting with the edges of the chart in his hands.

She scrunched her eyebrows at him, recalling her short conversation with Alex in the locker room that morning, the one where he made her laugh. "What do you mean?"

"Why, I mean- why were you talking to him?" He asked curiously.

"He's my friend" she shrugged not really knowing what other answer to give or what answer he was expecting.

"No, no" George laughed. "He- you don't make friends with Alex, he's Alex"

"He's actually nice once you get to know him. You just have to give him a chance," she explained.

"Do you have a thing for him?" He asked suddenly.

"No," she scoffed, stopping to check on the baby's labs.

George squinted at her, a questioning glance in his eyes and she squinted back playfully with a small smile on her face before he walked off.

Jade sat in the gallery later that day, biting her thumbnail and sitting next to a quiet Dr. Bailey as she watched Dr. Burkes surgery.

Everything was going well. Jade was actually just about to leave, her pager going off before Cristina collapsed in the O.R. 

"Oh my god," Jade muttered, standing quickly along with Bailey as she pressed a hand against the glass, watching as interns and nurses crowded around her friend, rolling her on her back.

She rushed out of the gallery behind Bailey and quickly made her way down to the O.R. They hastily threw hair nets and surgical masks on before going in, Burkes shouts for Cristina echoing throughout the room.