26. church bells

New York was exactly how Jade had remembered.

That was one of her favorite things about the city, nothing ever changed. The people, the buildings, the atmosphere would always feel like coming home to her. The only thing that ever changed was her.

The only thing different about her this time though was the thin gold band adorning her left ring finger.

Alex and Jade hadn't even waited a week before deciding to get married. Jade relayed how she didn't want a big wedding, she actually didn't want a wedding at all unless Alex really wanted one.

When he said he didn't they decided to go to the courthouse that weekend.

It had rained on their way there, a sign of good luck, and with Alex in a simple suit and Jade in a pretty blue dress (she refused to wear white), they were married.

Meredith was their witness and a small celebration was held at Mark's apartment after with just their few close friends and some champagne.

Simple yet effective and nothing could've suited them better.

Now they were in New York on a honeymoon of sorts. They only had a few days and Alex had never been to New York, so she mainly wanted to show him some of her favorite places and things from her childhood - specifically Stefano's - the bakery she and Addison always went to.

It was their second day in the city and the late October chill made Jade tug her gray coat a little tighter around her body, and the breeze blew the few wispy pieces of hair that had fallen out of her low ponytail around her face.

Alex's left hand was clamped tightly in her right as they walked down the crowded sidewalk and a small giddy smile never failed to creep its way onto her face when she felt the band around his finger against her skin.

They opted for very simple rings and had stopped at the jewelry store only right before they went to the courthouse. Alex's was a simple gold band and Jade's was gold as well, but thinner and twisted.

They were only a block from the bakery now and Jade had nerves of excitement brewing in her belly that hadn't really gone away since they arrived in New York. High off the happiness of being a newlywed, she supposed.

Nostalgia hit her like a forceful wave when she stepped through the door Alex had held open for her.

Stefano's was one of the smallest storefronts on the block, something you'd miss if you weren't looking for it. The floor-to-ceiling glass windows looking into the small bakery were rimmed with Christmas lights that stayed up all year round and were replaced only with colored ones for the holidays. They were currently orange and appeared dull in the daylight.

The floors were black and white checkered, and the walls were a pale blue except for the back wall which was striped with white, and three sets of white metal tables with two chairs each were placed around the shop. The display case spanned the length of the store and was placed towards the back.

A small handwritten poster menu was hung on the wall behind the display case, showing off specialty coffees and teas and the prices of cupcake boxes.

A fond smile was on Jade's face as Alex followed her through the doorway, his hands running up and down the length of her covered arms when a small shiver overcame her from the temperature difference.

"Welcome to Stefano's," a voice rang out from behind the display case. A young boy, no older than 18 worked behind the counter using a pair of tongs to place cannolis in a neat row.

"Hi," Jade said politely, placing her hand back in Alex's and moving further into the bakery. "Are Sal and Roe in?" She asked.

Stefano's has been owned and operated by Salvatore and RoseMarie Stefano for almost 25 years and they lived in the apartment attached above it for just as long.