31. a shining sun/glow

Jade hummed to herself as she sat on the edge of the exam table, her legs swinging as she waited for both Alex and Arizona.

This would be the second ultrasound of her pregnancy and she was anxious to see the little fuzzy outline that was her baby again.

Alex arrived first, slipping into the room as he pulled off the scrub cap he still had on and shoved it in his pocket.

"Oh, good," he sighed. "I thought I missed the beginning."

"Nope," Jade pressed her lips together in a smile as he made his way over, patting the sides of her thighs as he kissed her cheek.

He rolled the stool from the counter over and sat in front of her.

"How'd surgery with Derek go?" She asked, kicking her legs out to tap his knees with he tips of her shoes.

"Good. Everything went fine. Her recovery should be quick," he responded.

"What was her name again?"

"Zola."

Jade was about to ask another question when the door opened again, Arizona rushing in with her lab coat flying behind her.

"God, sorry I'm always late to these things," she apologized, walking over to the side of the table. "Callie and I's parents are in town for the wedding and things are a little crazy."

Jade smiled as she moved further down and leaned back. "It's fine. We know there's a lot going on."

Arizona smiled back as Alex rolled over to the other side of the exam table and Arizona pulled the computer towards her. "Alright, let's get started."

Jade was used the beginnings of this at this point. Roll up shirt, gel, quiet, see the scan, and done.

Arizona's face remained neutral as she rolled the wand over Jade's stomach before turning to look at them with a small smile. "Want to listen to the heartbeat?"

"Yes," Alex and Jade answered at the same time causing them to look over at each other and Arizona to chuckle.

A few seconds later the sound rang out a little fuzzy and they strained their ears as all three of them seemed to catch something at the same time.

"Okay, I know this isn't my specialty but that doesn't sound right," Jade spoke, her own heart rate rising a little.

"Is that a murmur?" Alex asked, standing now with his hands braced against the exam table. "Robbins," he said her name when she didn't answer quick enough.

Arizona held a hand out as if to placate him as she looked at both of them. "Yes, it sounds like a heart murmur," she said slowly.

"Wonderful," Jade sighed bringing a hand up to pinch the bridge of her nose.

"I don't want you to worry," Arizona started. "I see heart murmurs in many babies that just go away as they continue to grow. Sometimes it can be a sign of a more serious heart defect, so we'll run a few tests just in case. But for now I don't want you to worry, okay?"