~17~

Tuesday- After School

"You are a terrible bowler!" Stiles says loudly as they head down the stairs.

"I know!" Scott groans. "I'm such an idiot!"

Tessa walks behind them, hand clutching Danny's tightly. "It was like watching a car play chicken with a train."

"Yeah if the steering function in the car was broken." Danny chuckles.

"I mean, first it was the whole group-date thing." Stiles waves his arms around. "Then there was that phrase-"

Scott cuts him off. "Hang out."

"You don't hang out with hot girls, okay? It's like death." Stiles frowns.

"We hang out with your sister." Scott shrugs, his eyes look her up and down.

Tessa pales, her hand tightening into a death grip. Just when she was starting to feel normal-adjacent around Scott again. Like she had told Stiles this morning, her outfit wasn't all that revealing. Sometimes she hates being a girl.

Danny uses her grip on his hand to pull her away from them and to the parking lot. "You okay?"

"Y-yeah." Tessa nods rapidly. "I-I have to get going to work or I'm going to be late." She pulls at the hem of her skirt a little bit, trying to make it longer. "Can I trade you jackets?"

"Tell you what, I'll give you my jacket and you can keept that one in the truck..."

"It was Derek's he has like twice as much muscle as you, just try it on." Tessa hands it to him, shrugging on his long coat easily.

"Fine." Danny puts it on, it's a little short but it looks good. "Okay...why do I like it?"

"Because you look attractive." Tessa forces a smile onto her face. "And you look less like your dad now."

"That would be it." Danny wraps his arms around her and rests his chin on top of her head. "Go to work babe, text me when you get done."

"O'course." She pulls away. "Bye boo. Thank you."

Tessa starts to walk away, the coat is long enough on her that it brushes against her calfs. It makes her feel just a little bit better though.

~~~

Tessa sits in the truck for a long time with her headphones on. She needs to let out some energy, but the only thing she can do right now is fidget and adjust her position every five seconds. Somewhere she knows that the longer she waits, the more the energy will build. Still, Tessa hopes that it will go away.

A knock on her window startles her, the knife from her waistband is pulled quickly. It's just Scott though, and she finds herself not wanting to get out. He gestures for her to hurry up, pointing at his nonexistent watch. Tessa checkes the time on her phone.

"Shit shit shit shit shit." Tessa speaks quickly. The headphones are torn off and put in the shotgun seat and the phone is shoved into her coat pocket. "Shit."

The two teenagers hustle inside, starting to apologize immediately.

"You two are all of two minutes late." Deaton raises an eyebrow. Tessa notes a small item in his hand, he's clutching it tightly.

"We just don't want you to think we're slacking." Scott defends himself, she nods along absentmindedly.

"Scott." Deaton sighs. "I guarantee that you and Tessa are some of the least slacking kids I know." He turns his gaze on the blonde, she seems off. She is standing almost as far away as she can from Scott, and almost like she wants to draw in on herself. Deaton finds himself wishing that Danny had come along today. "Tessa could I talk to you in the back please?"