21 - Patterns

Nao's/Rosalin's Point of View

In the end, Mia left sort of awkwardly after that, with an utter look of confusion on her face. This left me with the maids again, and leads to me waking around the fort with the head maid.

Still, it's weird... no, I think it would be okay to even call it creepy.

The way Mia looks at me as though she knows something about me, and then still seeing her confused when I don't seem to fit what she imagines. Almost like she has a preexisting expectation of who I am, but then... got the wrong person?

Ah? But if the timing was wrong and she couldn't see my face, then why would she assume that I'm someone else?

I glance down at my clothes, that seem quite ordinary, and then at the tots of black tangled hair sliding down my shoulders.

Ah- don't tell me it's the hair color? While it's true that I've only seen the prince's bodyguard guy Asten with the hair color, would it really be special enough to assume because of it?

...

Ugh. Either way if she's paranoid enough to keep me around despite clearly being someone else, then whoever she's searching for is probably dangerous like a villain.

...

..

.

Ugh...

No, even if it might fit me, I can't change my face... probably.

The head maid seems to notice my distraction, and clicks her tongue.

"Remember to be thankful for the saintess grace and work hard for her," the head maid says somewhat bitterly at me as we continue walking down the halls of Avenfort.

She was so happy when Mia was there, praising her kindness over and over. Then once she left, it shifted to this. 'Remember to be grateful'.

"I will do my utmost," to get away.

She looks half satisfied, but doesn't say anything, as we turn the corner and head to the east wing of the castle. It's pretty clear that the east wing is way nicer than anywhere else in the fort. There's actually carpeting, and the lanterns are replaced with decor lamps. Cabinets appear regularly, each with a vase to bring some color to the hallway...

It's just... those don't look like wildflowers from fall. More like extravagant imported flowers.

"This is where you will find the bedrooms of the nobility at the castle. At the end, is a side path where some personal servants and bodyguards have their rooms in cases of emergency. You'll be using one of those, by the order of the crown prince."

Does this mean I got on Prince Claudius' good side earlier? Wouldn't Mia be against this then?

I sigh and glance around at the more elaborate doors. The metal supports have added parts for decoration too.

If the first prince is here, then would he be in one of these rooms, I wonder? Then again, I don't see any guards by any of the doors, so it's probably unlikely.

If the fort had a tower then he'd be placed there, but I didn't see any towers.

They couldn't have placed him in the dungeon, right?