57 - Demonic Hope

Rosalin's Point of View

Judging by Estella's reaction I might be close. Either that or she's just fascinated. To be fair, I just took concepts of modern media and mixed with the rules I've observed in this world up till now. Just because I have ideas, that doesn't make them viable.

To be honest, I don't think Seid would approve of the idea I just presented.

"There is however an issue with your theory. The engraved gaps would be filled by the new layer of magic crystal."

Ah- true.

"Then... you could use liquid mana to fill the engravings. If you can manipulate it properly, then the liquid will also make the engravings more invisible."

Much like a vase with water marbles and water in it.

"Hoowrrr uu eeerooy e."

I look to the goblin, who looks at me intensely... almost pleadingly.

"How would you destroy your own little invention, if it succeeded?"

How...

"The simples would be to target a spell in the center of the core...but-" I pause to look over Estella. But it's almost impossible that someone hadn't tried that, right? Exploding it from the inside out.

"Claudius said your title was the master of flow. Would it be correct to assume that 'flow' is connected to vectors, in a mathematical sense?"

A vector, in this case, meaning a quantity that has a direction and a magnitude. In simpler words: A fireball spell has a direction, and a flying speed. If she can change the 'flow' of spells by using those vectors, then she can change the direction of spells, stop them mid-air, or even speed them up.

"...Why do you think so?"

Estella took a bit longer to think about my answer than I thought, but it isn't a no.

"When I made magic, I realized two things. The first is that it's based on what you truly want, not just what you're trying to do. The second is that the magic needs 'some' basis in reality... or logic. Both teleportation, and changing the casting point of a spell could be based in vector changes... and I can't imagine another semi-flowery title describing that sort of magic better."

Estella is quiet for a while.

"You are not wrong... however, hearing you talk about my hidden life work so matter-a-fact manner sours my mood. The otherworld has progressed quite far since I was still alive..."

 Progressed? Is she suggesting that the time of my old world and this world runs in parallel? No, let's not worry about this right now.

"In that case, my guess is that it's impossible to target the inner layers of the crystal with magic."

It would be foolish not to.

But where would such a layer be?

No, no matter where it is, it would mean having to deal with that layer before any other layer.

"I can think of two ways to try... but I'm not sure they'd work... but both include targeting the liquid mana..."

"I see... that's enough. You don't need to answer any further... You've convinced me that whatever you find, you'll have some well based ideas to try out."

Estella cuts me off, and folds her hands neatly in her lap. I take her interruption as a sign, that I'm not thinking in an entirely incorrect direction.

"I can understand why Seid had shown interest in you. Eostra never chooses scholars... but you have not only knowledge, you have compassion, and a good intuition."