40 - Love Letters

Nao's Point of View

I snuggle tighter into the softness around me, suddenly feeling a lot better than I did a moment ago.

Although, it seems kind of bright right now.

I stretch my legs and open my eyes... to see the sunlight...

It's morning. I stare blankly at the wall in front of me, and with a jolt I wake up properly.

When did I fall asleep?!

Did I fall asleep in the middle of trying to make a mana-potion?!

Also, I'm facing the wall.

But...

This isn't my bunk. It's Theodore's...

And I'm not touching anyone...

I turn around, but Theodore isn't in the bunk with me. He's standing leaned up against the window, with crossed arms, staring at the door like he is guarding it. I sigh with relief.

My order for him to stay in the bed must have run out.

I'm kind of happy it did. Sleeping next to a corpse isn't on a list of things I'd like to happen, and I feel like I'd be ruining Theodore's dignity as well. Imagine being raised as an undead, and your necromancer forces themselves on you and sleeps in the same bed as you.

I look around for the mana potion I was making as I fell asleep, but it's nowhere in sight, or in the bed.

I'm a bit surprised I just fell asleep like that, but now where I think about it, I fell asleep in Theodore's arms the first time I tried to condense mana. That means it's probably an effect of running out of mana. At least it is here I find out about that, and not in the middle of a fight.

I sit up properly, and look up at the blanking out Theodore.

"Sorry, looks like I ended up stealing the bed from you."

I leave a little pause there, but it's not like he can answer.

It'll always be a bit awkward... won't it?

Part of me wishes there was someone to teach me this necromancy properly, just so I could at least know how to undo the raise dead, without worrying about things like what will happen to the soul, if the body is destroyed.

I shake it off. It's not a matter for right now.

Joshua said today would be the day we leave. I should make him a new body to use. One that at least has a little bit of arms or something.

I cross my legs, and hold out my hands in front of me, to imagine the origami shapes I know how to fold.

I do know a few shapes that have arms... or two sets of legs. The problem is, that for Johannes to use it properly, the folds in the body need to be in such a way that they can be used to move. Most leg types fold to the side and in, not back and forth.

Alternatively, I could go for something flying. But I don't know if posession can change the properties enough to actually make it fly.

Better stick with something that can crawl then...

..

What about a dragon?

It has the long bendable body of the worm, but it also has little legs it can bend to the sides. It won't be walking, but it'll be a couple of extra limbs to express himself with. Not perfect, but it's the best I can think of right now.

I give a nod of satisfaction, and unfold my legs, before slipping out of the bed, and slide down on the chair by the desk instead. I open up the desk, by pulling open the table surface, and find the paper stored in there. There's an ink bottle and pen too, but in this case I'm only interested in the paper. So I pick up the top sheet, and close the desk again.