39 - Bedtime Thoughts

Nao's point of view

Part of me felt like skipping dinner after what happened, but I ended up going, after Marcus specifically came and fetched me.

When I finally got back to the room, I sat down on the side of Theodore's bunk, feeling drained.

Too much has happened today.

From the abusive awakening.
The fight for my life against the goblin not acting how people think they should act.
Horses not acting the way people think they should act.
Getting a book I'm magically fated to get.
Nearly getting possessed by some insane thing, saying things aren't the way people expect.
Theodore not being what people expect.
Mia being reincarnated or something.
Me probably not acting how she expects.
Joshua saying the demon lord is basically immortal, unlike what people expect.

I'm sensing an annoying theme here.

But often, with these things, it seems like the expectations are only partly incorrect. Like Theodore's plans that aren't fully good or bad for his brother, me that isn't acting like Rosalin, but am a necromancer.

The thing that tried to possess me said the blame was with people, not Morset, but Joshua said that the problem with the demon lord is that the fight is against the god of death. No. That the one people have sinned against is the god of death.

Usually you'd take that to mean that the motive would be revenge.

But...

Joshua didn't tell me to find Morset.

I let out a sigh and bury my face in my hands.

That parts of this place is like a game messes me up. I'd written everything off to be a sort of hell of my own creation until now, but what if it isn't?

...but it's not a game either

To put you in a game world, a sort of god is needed. But is that god one from where I came, or is it one of the three from here? Like... the one of fate and magic?

I open up my skill screen and stare at the little walking avatar.

But why?

To what end?

Mia had already been brought. She has knowledge of this place from some game.

Why am I here?

If anything, am I not getting in the way of Mia's plot?

But Joshua doesn't care about Mia.

Then, is Mia's plot not important?

But Henrietta really does think Mia is important, and Mia thinks it's important.

Mia's goal, has to be the goal of the game...

Assuming it's a reverse harem game, as I joked about before, then is the goal to kill the demon lord and have a happy ending?

But, if the demon lord is immortal, is that then even possible?

Something is missing.

...How does Joshua know the demon lord is immortal?

I feel a shiver crawl up my spine.

Hero of Eostra.

That's what he called himself.

Like he called Mia's love interests...

I push my hands from my face, and up through my hair to pull it back away from my face.

What if he is?

He's been dead for so long that he's not one of Mia's, but what if he was the Hero accompanying another saintess? Wouldn't that fit?