25 - Avenfort

Nao/Rosalin's Point of View

...Johannes is acting weird.

At first I thought it was because of me, but I'm pretty sure that I can't make someone's breathing hitched and their hands clench like that while they stare blankly into the air.

I don't know why, but for a moment there he forgot all about me.

I suspected Joshua possessing Johannes, but then Johannes glared at me again, seemingly unaware of his loss of composure.

I follow him through the fort, while I slowly begin to consider whether or not I'm going to get any breakfast before we eat.

Once we leave the noble area, the fort is buzzing with life. Maids hurrying around with new bags of clothing, guards finishing their night shifts, officers heading towards meeting rooms. By the looks of it, breakfast is going to happen later.

I haven't really found out what they eat for breakfast here anyway, though obviously it isn't rice. Mia and her group have a pretty exclusive access to wheat too, and of course the same for sugar... and yes, Mia and her group got dessert yesterday. An entire three layered tray of puddings, marzipan cakes, pancakes and small fruit tarts.

What about us servants?

A stew explosive with flavor. While I miss miso, there was no need to add anything. It was bursting with flavor from meat and surprising amounts of herbs and vegetables.

I pause my thoughts on food, as we reach a small door with a couple guards in front of it, and Johannes puffs up like an angry cockatoo when they don't open the door for him.

"Let me through. I have business with Alexis."

Alexis... Alexis...?

"From last afternoon, His highness has forbidden anyone from visiting Prince Alexis, Lord Johannes."

Ah~ Claudius' older brother the crown prince.

...

Why are we visiting that guy?

"What do you mean he has forbidden it? This is important for the saintess safety," Johannes almost hisses out while standing stiffly straight and proper.

The guard bows deeply.

"I apologize, Lord Johannes, but I cannot let anyone past here, is what his highness ordered."

Well, if prince Claudius ordered it, then there isn't really anything to do about it- is what I'd like to say, but Johannes would without a doubt hit me.

I glance to Johannes, who is pretty clearly sucking up his frustration and probably just gritting his teeth through this.

This person is pretty hopeless isn't he?

Just from this he looks indignant, as though his pride has been trampled on.

He reminds me of a character in a visual novel that Hana really loved. When I asked what was lovable about him, she replied how he was adoring and possessive and would never look at anyone else after you fixed him...

How in the world Mia has the time or energy to 'fix' a guy like this... and Wallis, and Claudius, I have no idea.

I'm just glad I don't have to.