13 - Common Sense

I force down the bite of bread while trying to hold in the tears filling my eyes from the gentle warmth of Anna's hand on my head.

After all that happened, both with the hunters, in the tavern and at the graveyard, I really never thought I'd find anyone being truly kind.

I lean slightly towards the hand and end up curling into a little ball like Anna did a few moments ago, and out of my control slips out quiet tears.

I want to be hugged.

I sniffle, and then lift my head while wiping away the tears.

"Why do they think I was a concubine? I'm not dressed like a noble or talk fancily..."

Why are concubines a thing here anyway? Isn't this a western medieval world? You know where the prince on the white horse only chooses 1 girl...

Anna's soft expression turns to wonder, and her bright blue eyes stare at me curiously.

"Why should you be dressed as a noble?"

She moves the hand away, as I give a quiet sniffle, and cut off another piece of the salty meat to munch on quietly.

"...because... only nobles have money enough for the upkeep of a concubine, right?"

I add the last part naturally, but as I do I get this uncomfortable feeling that something is wrong here... even more so as Anna just stare at me blankly.

Then, in an instant her eyes light up with understanding.

"Ooh~! Just how far out from the boonies did you come? That's called a maid, not a concubine," Anna giggles out at me.

I didn't mean a maid... A maid doesn't sleep with anyon-

....

My jaw drops at the blue screen, and I hear Anna crack up at my reaction

My jaw drops at the blue screen, and I hear Anna crack up at my reaction. Her bright flaming strands of silken hair slide over her shoulder, as her giggles turn to laughter and she starts tapping the front of her feet while gasping for air... yet... yet no matter how pretty she is she's laughing too hard at this!

Also why am I even getting a skill out of this?! I have never done any of the sort, or anything related to it!

[Experience from visual training added to level]

...Oi! I nearly let out a groan. This system really just does whatever it wants, doesn't it?

I take a deep breath and look back at Anna who is still a bundle of laughter... somehow, watching her be so happy and defenseless makes the tension seep back out. No matter what I do it's not like I can stop the system from tossing skills or abilities at me.

I awkwardly put a hand to the back of my neck, and focus back on Anna.

"Then, how would you define a concubine?"